x

Feature Request: Kiosk / Hide Options

Verified Answer

Since we cannot seem to get the actual functionality for a self service kiosk, can we at least get an update to the app, so that we do not see the menu items for things an employee does not have access too? (e.g. if the employee does not have access to reports... why does the menu item display? Seems it would make sense to remove instead of clicking on it and see the permissions error. 

0 Likes
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Since we cannot seem to get the actual functionality for a self service kiosk, can we at least get an update to the app, so that we do not see the menu items for things an employee does not have access too? (e.g. if the employee does not have access to reports... why does the menu item display? Seems it would make sense to remove instead of clicking on it and see the permissions error. 

252 Comments

It would be great for square to offer a kiosk mode! We would definitely implement. Square, any timeline on this feature? I've seen people discussing it for a while now online so there must be a feature request in progress. 

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “Can Square Point of Sale be setup for self checkout?”. The original author has been notified via email

Hello @BOCLWA

Currently this is still a feature request and we don't have a timeline for when it might be available. If there are any updates I will make sure to post them in the thread! 

The title of this thread was updated from its original title: “Feature/App request: Self-Service Terminal”.

In looking through the past articles, it seems like a request for an app, or Square App feature, comes up every couple of months.  I have two possible use cases for such an app, primarily to be able to use the service is a mobile donation or tip jar.  One of my organizations holds events once a month, and we invite the public. We have a cash tip jar, but would like to offer other options. I would love to have a "Donate [$1] [$2] [$5] [$10]" screen on a portable device with our NFC reader next to it so that people could donate with their phones or CC without having to join a service (like Venmo, or BuskR) or manually enter their CC information in a QR-linked online cart system (PayPal/Square/etc.).    Likewise, for groups which busk, a simple way to tap-to-pay on a small device next to the traditional "guitar case" would be convenient. 

Square Community Moderator

Hi @TEI

Welcome to the Seller Community and thanks for sharing your thoughts around this. 

Self-Service, Self-Checkout, or a Kiosk type experience that's driven completely by the customer is one of the more popular feature requests that we've seen from sellers. 

It's not available at the moment, and while there's nothing new to report in regards to timelines or availability, some sellers use the Employee Management features as a workaround for this.

Since you have the ability to create a 4-digit passcode to control what your employees can see and do while signed in to your account on the Square Point of Sale app, you can set it up in a way where you can have customers check themselves out when making donations. 

I know that's not ideal, but some sellers have had success with this in the past. Hopefully someone can chime in with their experience with this. 

I'd also like to add myself to the self-ordering kiosk feature. I just think Square's user-friendly interface would be perfect for a self-ordering option.

Super Seller

I too have a great deal of interest in a customer checkout option. Is there a thread monitoring this request allowing us to provide input for features that would be useful?

In the meantime, I use a workaround that has proven useful on an iPad, not sure if Android offers something similar - Guided Access

Guided Access lokcs an iDevice in a single app and offers the ability to lock portions of the screen.

1. Settings > General > Accessibility > Guided Access
  2. Enable Guided Access > Enable Accesibility Shortcut
    1. Accessibility Shortcut will allow a triple-click of the home button to enable Guided Access. This makes it much easier to enter and exit Guided Access mode.
  3. Open the Square app
    1. Adjust Settings: You'll want to adjust settings so customers are guided as simply through the purchasing process as Square currently allows. We turned off collecting customer information, receipt signatures under $25 and several of other items to ensure we were guiding a customer as best we could toward swiping their card.
  4. Enable Guided Access
    1. Triple-Click the Home button to enter guided access. 
    2. In addition to locking the iDevice to the App you are currently in, you are now able to identify areas of the screen that can be locked. This means if a customer attempts to touch in that area the iDevice will not respond. 
    3. We draw a basic rectangle then shape it to fit the exact size of the lower nav bar inside the register.
    4. We draw another rectangle and cover the Charge button 
      1. We have very simple instructions posted (1. Select Item, 2. Swipe Credit Card) but most don't read them. I found some would click the charge button then chose the Cash or Other payment option to close their ticket. Of course with no attendant we cannot collect this payment so I receive no payment for this cup of coffee or pastry. Covering the Charge button limits this from happening. 
  5. Start Guided Access
    1. You will establish a code on this step and Guided Access will begin. From here a customer can only select items from the menu you allow them access to, remove items and swipe a card for payment. 
    2. We use a very simplified menu with only a few items on it to make this process easier for customers.

This solution certainly is not without it's problems but I'm finding it works pretty well. If a customer attempt to click the Home button and exit they are provided a notice that Guided Access is enabled. If they triple-click the Home button they will be provided a prompt to enter the 6-digit code to exit Guided Access.

Hope this helps, happy to answer questions if I can be of assistance.

Jeremy

Admin

Hey @Anthem — thanks for taking the time to share your experience, and for providing this workaround.💪🏻💯

I went to check for updates and we don't have an additional thread for monitoring this request that I can suggest at this time. We will certainly come back here as any other developments become available. Keep in touch!

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “Feature Request: Self-Service, Self-Checkout, Kiosk Terminal”. The original author has been notified via email.

Is there any update on when a feature for customer self checkout might be available?

Hello @gopropak, I went ahead and merged your thread with this one since we're already tracking this request. Currently we don't have any updates for this feature. 

I am currently building a complete self service kiosk solution with admin editor that connects to the Square API and will be offering to any businesses interested for a reasonable service fee per month. It should be ready within 6 months. You can contact me if you wish to keep in the loop.

Scott.

[Email Redacted]