x

Feature Request: Kiosk / Hide Options

Verified Answer

Since we cannot seem to get the actual functionality for a self service kiosk, can we at least get an update to the app, so that we do not see the menu items for things an employee does not have access too? (e.g. if the employee does not have access to reports... why does the menu item display? Seems it would make sense to remove instead of clicking on it and see the permissions error. 

0 Likes
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Since we cannot seem to get the actual functionality for a self service kiosk, can we at least get an update to the app, so that we do not see the menu items for things an employee does not have access too? (e.g. if the employee does not have access to reports... why does the menu item display? Seems it would make sense to remove instead of clicking on it and see the permissions error. 

252 Comments

As someone who used to build apps this is not going to be easy.

1- front end

2- backend/admin for settings.

3- every feature should be optional.

4- support for printers and payment hardware

5- internal site for the dev to charge, cancel plans, support.. etc etc

I don't see 1 Dev or even multiple devs pulling all that in a reasonable time period.

We will be waiting at least 9 months and that is assuming a team is working on this as we speak.

😞

Yes it is not something easy.

1 - Front End
The front is a Windows 7,8,10 OS client application, with later releases for Android and iOS. Being that this will be housed inside a kiosk, depending on the kiosk, this could be ran via a Microsoft Windows Tablet, small form factor machine, or even a smart stick, or anything windows. It has plugin capability, allowing for printers, rfid, etc... A soft keyboard for input. The application runs a webpage, that is rendered from what is built at the admin level.

2 - backend/admin for settings
Yes, this is definitely were most of the work lies. The admin allows for fully programmable app. I don't expect most users to want to learn how to program, so there will be a marketplace for downloading prebuilt apps (restaurant kiosk, check in, etc...), and the user downloads from the marketplace, sets up all the store data, and sets it to go.

3 - every feature should be optional
What do you mean?

4- support for printers and payment hardware
This will slowly build over time, but will have full plugin capabilities at both the admin side (first support will be for Square POS and importing square data) and at the client side via plugins for receipt printers, etc... At launch it I plan to have support for Square, and hopefully a receipt printer for the client.

5. internal site for the dev
Still working out the plans on how to handle this.

I have been working on it since May. I plan to have something to test end of October.

Thank you,

Scott.

This is my opinion.

1- I really wish you would only focus on just the ios app. I cant imagine people using windows machine but i have not conducted any studies. You are going to over extend yourself... most square users are already on ios devices anyway. anyone that is going to want your product will not mind getting an ipad.

2- The admin part should in my opinion be a web aplication that works on 1 browser for now.. i would say chrome. This way you can only focus on 1 browser.

3- for example, say i am a restaurant that wants the ability to require customers to input their name. It should be optional... some might not want that feature. If you make every single feature optional it will save you lots of headache in the future.

4- pefect.

5- ok.

I wish you all the luck!

Thank you.

I understand what you are saying. I think you are right about #1 as far as square users. I may reconsider.

It's being developed under chrome testing, with ie, edge firefox, etc testing later.

Ok, I understand #3 now, it really is dependent on the "program", this is a platform, not specific to any one type of functionality, but I will keep this in mind during the self service program I will initially make available to the marketplace. We can always update and customize for individuals later.

Im interested in the Self Kiosk system using square. Please send more info to [Personal Information Redacted].

Can we incorporate the new READER SDK and API into an app on a self-service kiosk in hotels ? Is this allowed bu Square if we want to use Square hardware and build our own Android app to be run on self-service kiosks?

Square Community Moderator

Hi @arthurkhatch

I've moved your post over to this existing thread that has some fellow Square sellers who were looking for a kiosk solution as well. 

In theory, so long as your existing app already has Kiosk Mode built in, you should be able to use the Reader SDK with Square Hardware to accept the payments. 

Hopefully @gamecoder5 has an update on his recent build attempt and can provide some insight. 

Thank you @EJ_,

@arthurkhatch

I am working on a web platform that will allow incorporation of square with a self service kiosk. I plan to have something to demonstrate end of month, and something production ready in January. Please send me a private message with more details of what you are looking for with the hotel system. The platform I am building will allow for building out custom kiosk solutions. I am currently building a check in program for demonstration end of month and a restaurant style self service kiosk for launch.

Thank you,

Scott.

Hi Scott,  

I am very interested in your self-serve payment project, but struggling to send you a private message. Are you able to send me a message, then we could possibly share email adresses? 

Jim 

Thank you. I will send you a message now.

Scott.