x
Highlighted

Does Square prompt you to deduct tare weight when using the integrated scale?

I've called into support and am having trouble getting an answer to this question. All of our products are pay-by-weight and we need the capability to deduct the tare weight of the container from the total weight after weighing it on the integrated scale. This is the only way that this scale would make any sense for our business, so I can't justify making the purchase without knowing the answer to this question. I don't see "tare weight" mentioned anywhere in any articles or product descriptions, so I'm a bit worried that this software just doesn't have that capability, but I am hopeful!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Admin

Re: Does Square prompt you to deduct tare weight when using the integrated scale?

Hi there, @scoopseattle👋

I believe you're asking about the scale we introduced in this product update post. Taking a close look at the image of this scale in the Square Shop, it looks like there is a Tare button on the bottom right-hand side of the face of the scale. I opened the image in a new window and zoomed in to confirm this. Please let us know if I'm missing something here!

Message 2 of 6
Highlighted

Re: Does Square prompt you to deduct tare weight when using the integrated scale?

Thank you for your response. I am not asking about the tare function on the scale, I am wondering if we already know the tare weight of the container, does the software have the ability to deduct that weight from the total weight that it receives from the scale. I am guessing that it must not since no one from Square has been able to answer this question for me. This capability is essential for any bulk food business.

Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Admin

Thanks for your patience here, @scoopseattle. I used to work at a loose leaf tea shop, where we had a big scale that we used to weigh out teas into varying sizes of containers. Sometimes, we used the Tare function before filling containers with tea - we typically did this for oddly shaped containers that we didn't have presets for. Most of the time though, we used a couple of preset Tare buttons that we had set up on the scale itself. 

Based on the fact that you already know the weight(s) of your container(s), a preset Tare weight sounds like it's the feature you're looking for. I was able to get my hands on a scale today and dig in to this one. I'm still taking a look at the operation manual for this scale, but it appears that you will be able to input 5 different preset Tare weight values. If you set up preset Tare weight values, you will be able to deduct the weight of the container from the total weight of what's on the scale by using a button on the scale.

Can you please confirm whether this would work for your business? I'm happy to lay out the step-by-step instructions I take for you here, as the operation manual is - well, an operation manual.

Message 4 of 6

Hi Valentina, 
I really appreciate you taking the time to try to figure this out for me! The reason that this probably won't work is because we need to be able to deduct custom tare weights. Our customers bring in containers of all shapes and sizes, and each one we encounter has a different tare weight. This sounds more like the function that, say, a Fred Meyer has, where they can deduct the tare weight of a mushroom bag or a bulk bag or a produce bag but don't have the ability to enter a custom tare weight. 

Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Admin

And thank you for getting back to me here, @scoopseattle! When I worked at the tea shop, we sold many oddly shaped tins that we didn't have presets for; customers would also bring in their own tins. In these cases, we'd place the container on the scale for a moment and use the Tare button to quickly zero out the weight of the container. We would then fill the container with tea, place it back on the already tared scale, and get the weight of the tea without the weight of the container. This whole process was extremely fast and efficient.

If your customers are bringing in containers of all shapes and sizes, as you mentioned in your more recent response, you would follow the same steps I followed with oddly shaped containers at the tea shop. @LocavoreStore similarly explained how a yogurt shop would ring up yogurt in a container without charging customers for the container here.

You asked in an earlier post: "I am wondering if we already know the tare weight of the container, does the software have the ability to deduct that weight from the total weight that it receives from the scale." In these cases, you could have preset buttons for the containers with known weights.

Searching a bit on the internet, I wasn't able to find any software that supports deducting a custom weight - only known weights, in which case using preset buttons is probably easier. I would imagine this is because scales already support this functionality by offering the Tare function. Are you currently aware of a software that offers the ability to deduct a custom weight from the weight calculated by the scale? If you are, it could be helpful information for our product team to look into if we decide to build out the scale integration feature any further.

Message 6 of 6