x

Does Square store Canadian customer data on servers located outside of Canada?

We are a Canadian government organization interested in using Square, however it is illegal for us to use services which store Canadian customer data outside of Canada.

We have asked Square customer service this same question directly, twice, and only received non-answers with links to privacy policies which do not answer this question at all.

Does Square store Canadian customer data on servers located outside of Canada?

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi again @BIPL, thanks for your patience.

Yes, Square stores Canadian customer data on servers located outside of Canada. For more detailed information regarding our handling of personal data, please see Square's privacy policy

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions, happy to help.

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Admin

@BIPL I'm very sorry that you didn't get the help you needed when you contacted our CS team. I'm looking into this for you now and I'll reply here as soon as I have more information for you! 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 2 of 11

Thanks very much for the clarification Helen.

Unfortunately for us that means we cannot use Square.

Storing Canadian customer data in Canada may be something Square management might look into.

Message 3 of 11
Admin

I'm sorry that Square isn't suitable for you at this time. I'll share your request with the team and if this changes in future we'll update this post to let you know. 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 11
Admin

Best Answer

Hi again @BIPL, thanks for your patience.

Yes, Square stores Canadian customer data on servers located outside of Canada. For more detailed information regarding our handling of personal data, please see Square's privacy policy

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions, happy to help.

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 5 of 11

Hi,

By chance has this changed?  For health care practitioners in British Columbia, Canada, it's a requirement that health / privacy data is stored in Canada.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi @tblocke,

No changes as of right now but if there ever was, we'd be sure to update the thread.

Thank you for checking in.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 11

Where are Square's servers located?

Message 8 of 11

Any update on that? Is Square able to store data in Canada for the healthcare sector? Is Square a PIPEDA complaint?

Message 9 of 11

Is Square a PIPEDA complaint? Are the data stored in Canada? For healthcare professionals we need the data be stored in Canada

Message 10 of 11
Admin

Hey @Mira1!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community and resurfacing this question.

Square stores information on servers around the world (including the United States and Japan). We wouldn't be able to specify exactly which information is stored in Canada. 

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 11 of 11