x

Does the Square card reader work on the Blackberry KEYone phone - powered by Android?

I just purchased my amazing new Blackberry KEYone. 

Has anyone been able to download the Square app and successfully use the card reader?

Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @Joseph1111 - sorry to tell you that Blackberry devices aren't supported. You can see more details in this Support Center article: Devices Compatible with the Square Magstripe and Chip Card Readers

@jjgard thanks for the suggestions! 

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Super Seller Alumni

What version of Android is it running?  Does it support the Google Play store?  Have you searched for the app in the Google Play store to see if it's available?

Message 2 of 16
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @Joseph1111 - sorry to tell you that Blackberry devices aren't supported. You can see more details in this Support Center article: Devices Compatible with the Square Magstripe and Chip Card Readers

@jjgard thanks for the suggestions! 

Message 3 of 16

BlackBerry phones are now on the Android system. I use Square for business. I use BlackBerry for business too. I hope the Square organization will support new Blackberry phones in the future. 

Message 4 of 16

The App is in the Google Play Store. It works, but the card reader doesn't. Thanks for your support. 

Message 5 of 16
Admin

Thanks for flagging this, @Joseph1111. While we still do not have any updates on Blackberry devices, I'll be sure to share your post with the appropriate team members.

We'll circle back as any other details become available. Keep in touch and let us know if any other questions come up!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 16

Thanks, Tom. I appreciate your reply. 

Message 7 of 16

Further, as I'm sure you know, Blackberry devices are now being manufactured by TCL - for Blackberry.

I see that Square does support other TCL phones, so I hope adding the new Blackberry products won't be a difficult challenge.

Thanks again.  

Message 8 of 16

Hi.  I also have a blackberry KeyOne that runs on android and was wondering if square will run on this device.  

Thanks. 

Message 9 of 16

I am using the app on KEYone, but it won't accept the actual card reader...which means I lose money because I enter the client's information manually. 

I do hope Square will create a patch that is simillar to the one they use for other high end TCL phones. 

Message 10 of 16

I read a thread on here about the square reader and the blackberry keyone from over a year ago. I was wondering if there was a patch yet so it woud run on my blackberry. Thinking of upgrading to a keytwo in the future. I need the reader for markets, so I'm hoping that after a year plus, there's a way to make it work.

Thank you. 

Message 11 of 16
Admin

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Is there a patch for the square reader to work on the Blackberry KeyOne?

Thanks for checking in @Jewl. I'm afraid BlackBerry devices are not currently supported with Square. I don't have a timeline to share for when BlackBerrys might be supported in future.

If you need a new device to accept payments at your market I suggest checking the Square Device Compatibility website to make sure the device you purchase is supported.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 12 of 16

The latest version of the Square Card Reader does work on the Blackberry KeyOne, and perhaps other more recent BlackBerry devices as well. 

Message 13 of 16
Admin

@Joseph1111 Thanks for letting me know you've had success with your Blackberry device.

Unfortunately though we can't guarantee that it will work consistently and that you won't run in to issues. If it's supported in future we'll update this list - and the device compatibilty website - to let you know. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 14 of 16

When you say the lates version of the square card reader..... is that the wireless and did you have to do a update or buy a new one

Message 15 of 16

Hi,

Sorry for not being clearer. 

I'm using the latest Square card reader, which I plug into the phone itself. I haven't experimented with the wireless,yet. 

I haven't had to update anything, except for the monthly Blackberry updates which are standard, of course. 

Since I started using the latest reader, I have not had one single issue processing a credit card payment using my KeyOne.  

Message 16 of 16