x

Do you pay the invoice fee only, or do you also pay the regular credit card fees?

When taking a credit card payment using square invoice, does square charge the invoice fee only, or the invoice fee plus the regular credit card fees?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 21
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Invoices are free to send! 🙌

You're only charged a fee when they're paid by your customer with their credit or debit card. Just to recap, you pay 2.9% + 30 cents per invoice. 

PS - If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Square

Best Answer

Invoices are free to send! 🙌

You're only charged a fee when they're paid by your customer with their credit or debit card. Just to recap, you pay 2.9% + 30 cents per invoice. 

PS - If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 2 of 21

Why the .30 in addition to the 2.9%?

Message 3 of 21
Square

@DbcFit - As an invoice is considered a manually entered payment, it does carry a slightly higher amount of risk v. a swiped payment (which is just a flat percentage). Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 4 of 21

what are the charges if you create an invoice, but they pay in person with a chip?

Message 5 of 21

When you have "fee free processing"  does this apply when a customer pays with an invoice as well?

Message 6 of 21
Square Community Moderator

@pjcrist The free processing will apply to your Square Invoice payments!

Message 7 of 21

How come, if my invoice fees are covered in my free procesing, did I get charged the invoice fee but NOT the regular fee? My deposit breakdown clearly shows a waived regular fee, but a charged invoice fee. 

Related question, when my free processing is over, am I going to be charged the regular processing fee PLUS the invoice fee, because that's what the deposit breakdown looks like to me.

Message 8 of 21

Hello @jmbruni! 

If you have a free processing balance and you're being charged I recommend checking to see if your free processing has expired on your Square Dashboard. If your processing is still active, please reach out directly to our Support Team. They will be able to get this straightened out. 

As far as pricing goes, Square Invoices have a flat fee of 2.9%+ 30 cents. 

Message 9 of 21

Just to clarify, it is 2.9% +.30 per paid invoice?

Message 10 of 21
Alumni

Hey there @ACBC385

That's right - the processing fee for an Invoice is just 2.9% + $0.30. 

Message 11 of 21

Ok, I don't want to sound inept here but I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly....I am currently in a fee free processing period that started this month - so I shouldn't be charged any fees for sending my invoices even if the customer does pay off of the invoice? Or is the fee free processing waived only for regular transactions and not for invoicing?

Message 12 of 21

Hello @Chhuarez, your free processing will apply to invoices. It will apply to regardless of how you process the credit card. 

Message 13 of 21

Hi Sean, so if I send an invoice and the customer pays with a check, I will only be charged teh $.35/invoice (no percentage?)?

Message 14 of 21

Hello @winererik, Sean recently has moved to a different team so I'll jump in here. 

So you'll only be charged a processing fee if your customer pays with a credit card. if they issue you a check there will be no fee for just sending the invoice. 

Message 15 of 21

I have been confused by Square's wording regarding processing fees for invoices.  Sometimes I see that I can send invoices for free.  Then in the same message it will say you will be charge 2.9% plus $0.30 for the invoice.  If you change your terminology it will clear this all up.

Invoices are processed for free--always.

If the customer pays the invoice through Square, the seller will be charged 2.9% plus $0.30 for processing the payment, or 3.5% plus $0.30 if a card on file is used.  This is not in invoicing fee, it is a payment processing fee.

We customers are thinking you want to charge us the 2.9% for creating an invoice and 2.9% for the payment processing.

Message 16 of 21

Hi there, @YTPP - thanks for reaching out here on the Seller Community. You are correct - there is no extra cost associated with Invoicing, other than the percentage fee used for processing the actual payment once the Invoice is completed.

So sorry if the terminology and verbiage here threw you off! I am happy to pass your feedback along to our Content Team. Let us know if anything else comes up! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 17 of 21

I agree. Changing the wording would help clarify everything. 

Message 18 of 21

I bought a new phone and had to re-link it to my Square device so I did a charge of $1.00 on my VISA card.  I was shocked to see they charged me 13% fees. I have a craft show on Saturday and I need to make sure I am not paying 13% on my sales. How do I check what Square is charging me and how can I contact a real person for help. Thanks, Peg

Message 19 of 21

Hello @Peg0 

The reason it showed %13 is due to the fact that it was only a dollar so we charged .03 cents (from the 2.60% and then .10 cents (from the 10 cents per transaction) However, your current pricing for Swipe, Chip and Tap is 2.60% + 10 Cents.  On the other hand, for manually entered transactions the Processing fee is 3.50% + .15 cents per transaction. 

You can learn more about our pricing here

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 20 of 21

Do I get charged for creating an invoice and the customer pays by check?

Message 21 of 21