x

Echecks and Square

Can I accept echecks with Square? 

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Unfortunately, at this time, Square isn’t able to process funds with echecks.

The good news is you don’t have to break up your reporting. Although you’re not able to process funds with echecks, to keep your sales history all in one place, you can use the “Other Tender” option in the Point of Sale app.

If you send your customer an invoice, you also have the option to mark the invoice as paid — when choosing the payment method, select “Other.” Add a note that the payment was received as an echeck. Now if you need to go back and locate the transaction, you'll be able to find it with the rest of your sales history. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Admin

Best Answer

Unfortunately, at this time, Square isn’t able to process funds with echecks.

The good news is you don’t have to break up your reporting. Although you’re not able to process funds with echecks, to keep your sales history all in one place, you can use the “Other Tender” option in the Point of Sale app.

If you send your customer an invoice, you also have the option to mark the invoice as paid — when choosing the payment method, select “Other.” Add a note that the payment was received as an echeck. Now if you need to go back and locate the transaction, you'll be able to find it with the rest of your sales history. 

Message 2 of 11

this post is from 2017, is there any update for 2020 that square can accept echecks? 

Message 3 of 11
Admin

@TheREC2018 Thanks for checking back in. We're still in the same feature request boat with echecks. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

We'll give an update here in the Community if this is ever launched!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 11

I would also be interested in this feature. Without this I can't use Square for my business.

Message 5 of 11

Is the ability to pay via ech coming in 2021? Many great things with all the square offerings, however this is a disappointing gap in product offerings by Square...must be intentional at this point.

Message 6 of 11

Hi @nika  It's been 2 years since your post. Does square accept echecks yet?

ACH can have chargebacks up to 60 days. We need to let our customers enter their bank name, account #, check#, routing #, and dollar amount. Then Square can convert that to an echeck so we can have it all automated and not worry about chargebacks once it clears our customer's bank in like 3-5 days, Thanks   

Message 7 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Rick95 - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

Great Question.

In April 2021, Square announced businesses can now accept Automated Clearing House (ACH) payments on Square Invoices, bringing convenience and payment flexibility to businesses and their customers alike.

Square Invoices is free for Square sellers and ACH transactions have a processing fee of 1% with no hidden fees for failed ACH transactions. To learn more about what your business can do with ACH payments on Square Invoices, visit here.

I hope this helps. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 11

Hi @Ria, Thank you so much for the quick response!

Although eChecks may use ACH to transfer funds between banks, they are very different than ACH in that they are like traditional checks: 1) There are no "ACH charge backs" once it's cleared the issuer's bank. 2) Our customers are not required to share their main bank's online banking login "user name" and "password" (which is highly-secret) with a third party's website that they've never heard of [square or plaid.com] just to pay our invoice.  

If there is a way to add accepting eChecks to Square's requested new features, that would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks again

Message 9 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Totally understand.

Great suggestion, @Rick95

Happy to get that feature request passed along to our engineers right away. 

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 11

majority of my clients using ach transfer or eCheck payment

Message 11 of 11