x

Employee Permissions — How to manage permissions to create items and edit inventory?

In the Team section on the dashboard, when I click on it to edit their permissions I do NOT have "Edit Items & Manage Inventory  Across all Locations" however the employee is still able to create items and edit inventory.  Again, I do not have it check marked - I do not want these permissions available to our employee am I missing something else that needs to be check marked?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 27
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

There are three sections in the permission settings.  

• "Access shared Point of Sale" This is for the app and 
  • "Access Dashboard" is the online portal.  
  • "Access Mobile Point of Sale" to access the app with their email and password.  

Make sure that the "Edit item and manage inventory across all Locations" is unchecked in all active sections you allow access to.   

Also on the app, the "items" option will still be listed on the menu but when they click on it, it will ask for a pass code if logged in user does not have permission.  Only an id with the permissions can access it.

Make sure your employee is assigned the correct permission role.

If that doesn't work let us know.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

There are three sections in the permission settings.  

• "Access shared Point of Sale" This is for the app and 
  • "Access Dashboard" is the online portal.  
  • "Access Mobile Point of Sale" to access the app with their email and password.  

Make sure that the "Edit item and manage inventory across all Locations" is unchecked in all active sections you allow access to.   

Also on the app, the "items" option will still be listed on the menu but when they click on it, it will ask for a pass code if logged in user does not have permission.  Only an id with the permissions can access it.

Make sure your employee is assigned the correct permission role.

If that doesn't work let us know.

Message 2 of 27
Beta Member

When my emloyee with limited Permission clicks on Items, it does NOT let him enter a passcode.  It just says he doesn't have permission.  Am I missing something?

The idea is that my employee with limited permission works remotely in a different location and when I make a change in Dashboard with my Owner account, I want him to be able to add a new menu item to his POS layout.  I want him to be asked for a Passcode so I can give him mine and he can add the button (by "pressing & holding" on an empty space, etc...).  I though I saw this work in the past - has something changed or am I missing something?  (The employee has almost all Permissions enabled, EXCEPT to Edit Items across all locations - I don't want him to be able to do that.)

Thanks.

Message 3 of 27
Super Seller Alumni

I am not sure why it will not ask for a code but that's not the way you should do it.  If you provide them your code they have access to change EVERYTHING.  What you can do is simply sign into the Square app, and select the location (if you have more than one).  Now you can add or adjust the grid layout, add items, etc.  Give it a minute or two and those changes will reflect on all devices logged into that location.

Message 4 of 27
Beta Member

You're right, its a bad way to do it, but I couldn't think of another way to update their grid, since that location is in another state.  How could I update their grid from wherever I am, let's say home?  Can I do it through dashboard? 

Oh - are you saying for me to login with my owner ID on an iPad at home, select their location, modify their grid, sign out, and then changes will sync to their devince in another state?

Thanks for the help!

Message 5 of 27

I’m trying that now on my free version, can someone give me direction on iPad it says no access but I want employees to create new items, and enter inventory.

Message 6 of 27
Square Community Moderator

Hi @BUG - Thanks for stopping by The Seller Community 😊

Happy to help.

Check out this YouTube video that gives step by step instructions on setting up team permissions on an iPad.

I hope this helps 👍

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 27
Beta Member

Hi Ria 😊,

I use a free version of squareand cannt find the edit permission page to do some changes to the intial settings. I am redirected to the passcode page to save changes.  Am i missing out on something? The other issue was trying post or reply to a question but get an authentication error with a red sign from my Mac. Any answer ti the above is appreciated 😊😊

Message 8 of 27

Hi @Obaid - Glad you reached out.

I'm more than happy to help.

Edit Employee permissions by following these instructions: 

1. Sign in to the Team section of your online Square Dashboard > Permissions.
  2. Select an existing permission set and make edits.
  3. Click Save. Any changes made apply to all team members assigned to the permission set.
  4. To delete a permission set, click Delete.

Let me know how this goes. 

Ria
Message 9 of 27

I spoke with customer service yesterday. They advised that there was no fix to restrict permissions unless you use the mobile app. So for those of us that use a computer, our employees will have full range to the dashboard.  Seams like they could have come up with some different options by now. 😞  

Message 10 of 27
Admin

Thanks for surfacing, @prideandjoy and appreciate you laying this out, @RHatch. 💯 Hope this got you where you needed to be — let us know if anything else comes up! 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 11 of 27

Need help settign up employee codes with restrictions. 

Message 12 of 27
Admin

@mreymundo072566 I merged your post into this thread where @RHatch has explained the steps to get started with team permissions.

When you've assigned a role to an employee you'll see the option to assign a passcode to that employee.

You might also find this post useful: Selecting the Best Team Permission and Roles for your Staff. If you have any specific questions please reply here to let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 13 of 27

I have created a user/team member, only granting the employee access to take payments with virtual terminal but it appears that they can do anything including order equipment...How do i set them up to only use virtual terminal to take payments?

Message 14 of 27

Hey there @heatherbeeline

Welcome to the Seller Community! 

Check out the post by @RHatch as a Best Answer about setting the permission for your team. You will want to focus on the Access Dashboard portion of the permissions. 

Kassi
Message 15 of 27

I have multiple users on one device. How do I create a login for those users, other than creating a pin? The square app logged out while I was out of town and the other users couldn’t access it to checkout customers. I want to create a login , perhaps using a device code that would allow them to use the app without knowing my UN and PW. 

Message 16 of 27

Hey there @BettyS

Welcome to the Community!

I moved your post over to a board about this topic. It sounds like what you're looking for is setting upi Team Permissions for your employees. This would limit the access the person has and you can set up one login or permission for them. 

Check out @RHatch's post for his Best Answer

Kassi
Message 17 of 27

Kassi, 

Im still not seeing the answer to my specific question in this thread. I’d like to create a separate  app login for other users on the one device. I understand how to assign a pin to each user but that does me no good if they get logged out of the app. 

Message 18 of 27

Hey @BettyS -

Ah I see! It would be a little different than the passcode. Adding a team member with their email will allow them to sign into the app. You will still be able to limit what they see, but they would still be able to take payments. 

Check out this link on how to get started with that side of Team Management. 

Kassi
Message 19 of 27

How do I add an employee so that they can ring sales but not see bank information?

Message 20 of 27

Hey @leader1 -

I moved your post over to our Team Permissions board. This has all of the information about set up and other seller experiences. 

Check out the Best Answers!

Kassi
Message 21 of 27