x

Existing Brand: Do I name my new store after my brand?

I have an established woodworking brand that has a woodshop in my city for the last 8 years. We are about to open a store-front in our busy tourist area of town, and my question is this: Do I name the store after my brand, or do I name the store something catchy like "Wood Vibes" by Washed Up[ Key West
Am i wasting all of the branding I have been working on these last 8 years? Is there a benefit to having a different storefront name? 
Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

Hey @WashedUpKeyWest 

Firstly, congratulations on your store front opening.  That is a huge accomplishment for any small business owner!

With the amount of years in business and now a storefront soon to open its doors, I'm pretty confident you know exactly what you are doing. 

Rebranding a company can go either way in my opinion, and it can get costly (as I'm sure you are aware).  I rebrand my company almost 4 years ago, and it was the best move I made.  Granted I changed up some services that I offered, but none the less it has been the right decision to this day. 

With your store front do you plan to sell or offer other items as well that you may not personally make?

I love the "wood vibes" name, its catchy as all hell!  With also having your current name in it is a plus for SEO, and past customers.  The Wood Vibes can also be and/or turn into a certain or specific product line as well.

Ultimately I don't think it's a bad move at all with the rebrand route you are thinking of going.  Once you start that, just be sure to commit to it.

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 2 of 5

Thanks for the support and advice! The store will feature non-washed up items, including some of his moms art, so that is a great point! There is so much to consider, thank you for helping out!!

Message 3 of 5
Beta Member

Hey there WashedUpKeyWest,

Renaming your brand is an interesting idea.  Really can't see any negatives with this - you're opening a new store in a busy tourist area of town - remember you're now dealing with mostly tourists - they don't know you or your 8 year history so from their point of view - you're something new and interesting and will want to check you out.   As for your established clients - well you've been in business for 8 years, your customers know you - perhaps letting them know your plans via an email campaign with the details and that you are still the same business and will continue to provide the same outstanding services they expect - it's just a new look - and invite them to stop by and take a look - perhaps even offer them a special discount for stopping by in person.  

Just some thoughts, I have seen this done with other small businesses.

JK

Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the input, you make some great points. I really appreciate it.

Message 5 of 5