x

Failed to load square terminal

My new square terminal worked fine when I was setting it up but now, the very second time I've ever turn it on, it's saying failed to load square terminal. What do I do?

Message 1 of 22
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@Jrambo Sorry the Terminal is giving you some trouble!

These Terminal troubleshooting steps usually do the trick. That message you're seeing is most likely due to a network issue. So make sure that you're connection is strong.

If you continue to see that "failed to load" message, please reach out to our CS team!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Admin

@Heraldale

Oh no! Sorry you are having this issue.  I've escalated your case to our Customer Success team to reach out to you. They can help you troubleshoot this further.  

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 2 of 22

My terminal worked fine at home.  This is only the 2nd time being turned in, and the first time using it, and I am getting g the message “failed to load square terminal.”  Help!  

Message 3 of 22
Admin

Best Answer

@Jrambo Sorry the Terminal is giving you some trouble!

These Terminal troubleshooting steps usually do the trick. That message you're seeing is most likely due to a network issue. So make sure that you're connection is strong.

If you continue to see that "failed to load" message, please reach out to our CS team!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 22

Thanks for that message it’s extremely important to stop this activity if anyone can hide while stealing money from you looks like could be serious for you to but I really appreciate your help in this matter

Message 5 of 22

Thanks very nice you, this guy is unbeilveable thinking he can hide in your app this would mean a big step for me and my business if you really help the.  Credit

card co .

Message 6 of 22

1. I just purchased a new terminal, and each time I go to turn it on it comes on briefly and then says powering down. I have charged the terminal, and it is on WiFi. Anyone else experience this or have advice?
Message 7 of 22
Alumni

Hmm, sounds glitchy. Sorry your Terminal is behaving this way, @mbolick1

I'd try a factory reset by holding down the power button on the side for about 40 secs. This will force your device to shut down and essentially act as a hard reset. Not to worry though - your information won't be lost since it's saved on our servers but you'll need to reconfigure your device settings.

Once it boots back up, set up your Terminal as if you're turning it on for the first time and see if it's still acting funny. Keep me updated! 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 22

MV1764

Message 9 of 22
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @MV13 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community and letting us know! So sorry for the trouble here.

I've gone ahead and merged your post with a similar thread of Sellers who also experienced this issue. You should be able to find all relevant troubleshooting steps here.

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Joe
Message 10 of 22

Our internet is not dropping out. We have two terminals, purchased at the same time, one to use at each register. Only one of them is having this issue. They're about 1 year old. It's very inefficient right now, and we're anticipating a busy weekend in the store.

Message 11 of 22
Alumni

Hey there - either the software is not up to date (Settings > General > About Terminal) or a factory reset is in order. 

Let us know if you still need help with this.

@generalstorepr

Justin
Message 12 of 22
Beta Member

Square terminal has become slow and less responsive to taps and crashes intermittently after the “new look” update.   

I tried doing a factory reset but no luck.   Also have fully updated.  Software 4.22.0032. Firmware 3.20.49

anyone else having this issue? Is there a fix? 

Message 13 of 22
Alumni

Next step is to contact the Hardware Team to extensively troubleshoot since basic troubleshooting didn't help. 

@EUPHORIA

Justin
Message 14 of 22

I just got a new square terminal. I charged it to 100% and powered it on

I connected to wifi, used the code to connect it, and then it goes to "powered by square" 

I've tried a restart and a factory reset, but it does the same thing every time.

restarting brings it back to the powered by square screen. 

I left it alone to see if it needed to update or take its time the first time connecting, but it's been on the powered by square screen for 4 hours

How do I get it to connect? or is it faulty and need to be returned?

Message 15 of 22

Hi @mariehasaface - I'm sorry to hear that this issue has brought you to the Seller Community😥

I went ahead and merged your post to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have discussed similar issues with their Square Terminals. We merge duplicate conversations together to keep like comments in one place, and to make it easier for others to find the thread in the future. 

Since you haven't seen any improvement after performing the factory reset on your Terminal, the next step would be to contact our Support Team. They can file a support ticket so our engineers can investigate this further and determine whether or not a replacement Terminal would resolve this for you 🙂 If you haven't already, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Violet
Message 16 of 22

The reason the terminal is stuck on "Powered by Square" is because it is paired to your mobile device.  It's SUPPOSED to say Powered by Square, its 100% normal.

What you need to do is NOT pair it to your phone.  On your computer, go to: https://squareup.com/dashboard/business/devices

and on the right side click "Add Point of Sale" and this will generate a code for you to use in the terminal setting.  Once the device is connected to the computer the POS screen will display on the terminal.

You're welcome and good luck!

Message 17 of 22

Im having the same issues and this did not solve for me. Using the link you provided and adding the terminal as a point of sale from a computer still replicated the 'frozen at black Powered By Square' screen. I have tried Factory reset twice, device software is up to date. Cannot get the device to respond beyond Powered By Square if using a device code. I can log in directly to the Terminal and access menus if signed in directly to the terminal, but that doesnt allow it to be my customer-facing display and it will not show any Display settings under Hardware>Display to utilize the updated backgrounds feature, a main point on why I purchased this device over another tap reader. Any further suggestion?

Message 18 of 22
Beta Member

Mate, you're an absolute genius. THANK YOU! 

This seems simple to you, but made no sense for me. 

Followed your directions and problem solved. Thank you.

Message 19 of 22

Hi @humanoidtyphoon - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community to bring this to our attention. I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your Square Terminal.

For this issue, we'll need you to connect with our Support Team so they can gather the information required to create a support ticket, as we cannot access your Square account information and device here in the Seller Community. Then, our engineers can investigate this further. If you haven't already, please reach out to Support directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Violet
Message 20 of 22

So after yesterdays square outage today we go to start back up and now our terminal won't work.  When you send to the terminal from the square app the terminal goes to the square loading screen then just goes back to the white square and "powered by square" logo.  Have reset everything multiple times, reconnected multiple times and even did a factory reset.  Still nothing.

Message 21 of 22