x

Feature Request - Can I process an exchange?

Hi Everyone,

how do you do exchanges in the point of sale app on an android device? I am also located in Australia.

any ideas? I can issue a refund but not an exchange.

thankyou,

Message 1 of 28
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @native8,

There aren't any non-cumbersome workarounds at the moment, but I'll go as close as we can get:

- If the item being exchanged is of the same value, you could manually adjust your item inventory figures by adding one one of the returned items and subtracting the new item

- If the item being exchanged is of the same value or more, you could add the new item to a new sale then discount the difference as a new sale, then and manually update your inventory for the returned item

- If the item being exchanged is of lesser value then the new item, you could process the new item as a new sale with a 100% discount, then refund the difference from the original transaction

Hopefully we'll be able to release the "Refund to eGift Card" feature in Australia soon, which will improve things a little here!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Admin

Hi @Mariannab,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the community!

At the moment the ability to process exchanges is not a feature of our free POS app, though I am aware this has been a popular feature request from our sellers. As I understand it, the ability to process exchanges in on our product roadmap for our POS app, though I don't have an ETA on when this feature may be available.

You can follow the progress of this feature request on our US Seller Community forum here.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 2 of 28
Beta Member

Hi,

is there a further update on adding the exchange feature on the free POS app for Australian users?

thank you 

Message 3 of 28
Admin

No news at the moment @Daneechi, but I'll add your feedback as way of tracking demand for this feature.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 4 of 28

Is there an update on this? I chose square specifically for inventory management.  Without this ability it’s pretty useless.

Message 5 of 28
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Hpsuniforms! Welcome to the Community.

No updates to give at this time but if there ever is one- we'll be sure to update the thread!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Message 6 of 28

I also chose Square for inventory tracking. Had I know that processing exchanges was not a feature, I would definitely not have gone with Square. What is a POS system with no exchange feature? 

This thread is now over two years old and still no progress. When will this feature be available? 

Message 7 of 28
Admin

Hi @Tas12,

Thanks for getting in touch.

At the moment exchanges are not available on Square's free Point of Sale app.

We will be releasing Square for Retail in Australia soon, which is a paid POS app geared specifically to retailers, that does feature the ability to process exchanges. We're also working on our free POS app to have the ability to refund to a gift card - not exactly an exchange feature, but could be used as a workaround.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 8 of 28

Hi Seamus, could you advise on a temporary workaround on how we could exchange items for our customers? Naturally we’d like the stock levels to remain correct after the exchange is carried out. 

Message 9 of 28
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @native8,

There aren't any non-cumbersome workarounds at the moment, but I'll go as close as we can get:

- If the item being exchanged is of the same value, you could manually adjust your item inventory figures by adding one one of the returned items and subtracting the new item

- If the item being exchanged is of the same value or more, you could add the new item to a new sale then discount the difference as a new sale, then and manually update your inventory for the returned item

- If the item being exchanged is of lesser value then the new item, you could process the new item as a new sale with a 100% discount, then refund the difference from the original transaction

Hopefully we'll be able to release the "Refund to eGift Card" feature in Australia soon, which will improve things a little here!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 10 of 28
Beta Member

I have been using the FREE trial period for square retail which I thought had the ability to process an exchange but I can not find it on my SQUARE terminal, can someone please help with this?

🙂

Message 11 of 28
Admin

Hey @theloverfighter,

Thanks for reaching out

At the moment processing an exchange is only available on the Square for Retail Plus plan, and would need to be completed from the Square for Retail app. The functionality is unfortunately not available via Terminal at the moment, which runs our regular Point of Sale app for Android.

You can view a further breakdown of the different features offered by these POS systems here.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 12 of 28

when I refund, the only option is to a giftcard.

how do I change this to refund cash or card?

Message 13 of 28

Hi @VicProjects 👋

When you issue a refund with Square, the refund will be issued to the same payment method that was used, so a card payment will be refunded to the card originally used, and cash payments can only be refunded via cash. Can you let us know what type of transaction (e.g cash, or card) you're refunding? 

Message 14 of 28

The transaction was for cash, but the refund option is only giftcard.

It is a new thing, refunds were not like this before.

As you say, refunds were for cash or card depending on the original sale.

So what have I done to cause a change?

We do not have giftcards set up, so why has this become an option?

Message 15 of 28

Thank you for confirming, @VicProjects

In this case, I'd recommend reaching out to our support team so we can take a closer look into your settings. You can call support on 1800 760 137 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time), or contact us via online chat or email:

1. Sign in to your Square account

2. Head to our contact page https://squareup.com/help/au/en/contact

3. Click on any topic, then "I don't see my issue"

4. Click "Message us" or "Email us"

Or, if you see the new chatbot help flow, type "support" to bring up a list of contact methods.

Message 16 of 28

I tried that, no one got back to me

Message 17 of 28

When you call our support line during business hours and there's a bit of a wait time, you can request a callback @VicProjects

Message 18 of 28

Is there any update please on when exchange will be available for regular Point of Sale app or any other way other than Square for Retail Plus please?  I chose Square for the sales tracking by person as well as inventory tracking for our netball club uniform shop and its really is annoying not being able to exchange as a standard feature. 

I trialled Square for Retail Plus and the only feature I used was the exchange! But that trial has expired now, so I am back to doing a cumbersome workaround for exchanges.  I would happily pay a small amount per month for the feature, however paying the monthly subscription fee of $109 per month for Retail Plus is not an option...we are a small, not for profit netball club and $109 is more than the profit we make in a year from uniform sales!!  

Message 19 of 28
Admin

Hey @michellespirits,

Thanks for reaching out and providing us with a detailed use case for this request - it always helps to have when we pass feedback like this on to our product teams.

While I don't have an ETA on if and when exchanges may make it to our free point of sale app, I wonder if a potential workaround may be to refund the transaction to a gift card? You can use an eGift card for this purpose as well (no cost outside the usual card processing fees), so you wouldn't need to invest in purchasing physical gift cards. It's understandably not as simple as a straight exchange feature, but could be something to try?

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 20 of 28

Thanks - I've had a look but I can't work out where to find a gift card number to do this! So seems more cumbersome than what I am currently having to do, adjusting stock up and down and tracking sales details offline

Message 21 of 28