x

Feature Request: Can Square process offline card payments in Australia without the internet?

Can square take and process cc transactions without the internet, then dump transactions once back online ie like on a plane?

Message 1 of 45
2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

EDIT 6/5/2022 - Offline Mode is now available with Square Terminal via chip and tap with Visa, Mastercard, American Express and JBC credit and debit cards. Apple Pay and Google Pay are also supported.

Hey @TTA,

Offline payments are not a Square feature in Australia at the moment, so you'll need a stable internet connection to take card payments. It's possible this will change in the future, though there are upsides and downsides to having this ability.

I'd be interested to hear more about what sort of use case you're looking at in terms of using Square to take payments on a plane!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 45
Admin

Best Answer

Heads up - Offline Mode is now available on Square Terminal!

We understand that not everyone uses Square Terminal and we know plenty of Square sellers are keen to see Offline Mode on other payment devices. While we don't currently have any news to share about Offline Mode coming to other devices, please let us know in the comments where you'd like to see Offline Mode in the future - we'll pass your feedback on to our product team.

@TTA @ST71 @NRFC2022 @WAMC @Lexies @InDepth @AbettaLocksmith @yadav086 @BTails @Hannaford @Templar @Hells71 @Louhil @NMAE @DeltaBravo @ForestLodgeFarm @OnPointBrewery @AnswerS33k3r @BirdClub @Harty88 @383 

Seamus
Square, Australia

View Best Answer >

Message 41 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
Admin

Best Answer

EDIT 6/5/2022 - Offline Mode is now available with Square Terminal via chip and tap with Visa, Mastercard, American Express and JBC credit and debit cards. Apple Pay and Google Pay are also supported.

Hey @TTA,

Offline payments are not a Square feature in Australia at the moment, so you'll need a stable internet connection to take card payments. It's possible this will change in the future, though there are upsides and downsides to having this ability.

I'd be interested to hear more about what sort of use case you're looking at in terms of using Square to take payments on a plane!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 2 of 45

Any idea when this might be available in Australia? Our internet drops out occasionally, and it brings the business to a standstill .... ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 3 of 45
Admin

Hey @DeltaBravo,

We don't have an ETA at the moment for offline payments in Australia (or confirmation it's something we will build here), but we are tracking demand for this feature so I'll pass your case on to our product team for consideration.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 4 of 45
Beta Member

Hi Sheamus,

This is quite annoying, to be honest. The main reason we went for square over PayPal/Mint is the ability to process payments offline, especially since Australia does not always have the best mobile coverage.

Surely this is something Square could easily incorporate given it has been in America now for several years.

Message 5 of 45

We'd love for this feature to be rolled out to Australia. I can see it's available via Square in the US. Interestingly CBA (1 fo the big 4 banks) offers an offline mode with their Albert device. 

Message 6 of 45
Admin

Hey @Harty88,

Thanks for your message!

We've definitely seen some demand for offline payment in Australia, and we continue to track this demand.

With that said, offline payments can be risky. With transaction data temporarily stored in the app's memory - if the mobile device was to crash or the app was to be accidentally deleted, you'd run the risk of losing any transactions you have waiting to be processed once connected to the internet. It's something we could always revisit in the future, but for now an internet connection is required to use Square in Australia.

You may want to look into manually keyed payments (eg over the phone) or emailed invoices as an alternative for now!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 7 of 45

Please can you fast trackk this.

The main reason we went for square over PayPal is the ability to process payments offline, especially since Australia does not always have the best mobile coverage. We often need to do sales in areas where coverage is completely useless.

Surely this is something Square could easily incorporate given it has been in America now for several years.

Dave

Message 8 of 45
Admin

Hey @DaveBlueSky,

Thanks for your feedback! I pass feature requests on to our various product teams and share feedback that comes in via our Seller Community, though I'm not able to decide where a given feature sits in our pipeline.

It's possible offline payments may come in the future, but unfortunately I'm not able to fast track a feature request or give an ETA as to when one may become available.

The more feedback we receive for a given feature though the better a case can be made for it, so thank you for sharing!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 9 of 45

I'll second this.  We run a mobile business that can often take us to areas with dodgy mobile reception.  No one carries cash anymore we we end up losing business!

Message 10 of 45

We are another customer hoping for this feature. Our internet signal is not reliable, especially in bad weather.

Message 11 of 45

We're another customer also after online processing in Australia, the risk should be up to the vendor the accept within the app rather than not available at all.

Message 12 of 45
Admin

Fair point @OnPointBrewery!

We'll never say never - while offline payments are not currently available in Australia, we continue to track demand and share feedback with our product team. It's possible this may change in the future, if it does we'll update this thread.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 13 of 45

We are another customer looking for offline payment mode. I bought this device from Office Works with the specific request for offline payments as we are a non for profit organisation with older members who do not know how to connect the device to the internet. I am very disappointed this feature is missing and will now need to be present at every event we take money taking me away from valuable time running my own business. Not happy.

Message 14 of 45
Beta Member

+1 - I believe this is a much needed feature.

Please add us to the list.

Message 15 of 45
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your vote @AnswerS33k3r

Message 16 of 45

Hello, 

We are another business that would make use of offline payments when available in Australia! I travel to remote areas where internet and mobile coverage are not available so sometimes receiving payment can be impossible unless made by cash. I cannot rely on payment over the phone when I return a few hours back into a service area.

Message 17 of 45
Square Community Moderator

Hi @NMAE,

Thank you for getting in touch and sharing your feedback! Welcome to our Seller Community ๐Ÿ‘‹

While we don't have an update on the availability of this feature at the moment, we'll be sure to tag you in this thread to notify you of any updates.

Message 18 of 45

Itโ€™s 2022 is there any update on this  question?

Message 19 of 45

Donโ€™t have internet connectivity in the country side how do I accept offline transactions in Australia 

Message 20 of 45
Admin

Hey @Louhill,

Thanks for reaching out.

I've moved your message to this thread, offline payments are not currently available in Australia. We're tracking feedback on this feature, but I don't have an ETA as to if or when unfortunately!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 21 of 45