x

Feature Request: Set up specific date and time selection for Square Online orders (Pre-orders)

Verified Answer

Feature Request: Set up specific date and time selection for Square Online orders (Pre-orders)

The title of this post has been edited from the original: How to set up date and time selection for Square Online orders

Hi,

We quickly built a Square/Weebly Online Store this week so that people could place contactless/curbside orders for our gelato shop. It's working great and I love that the tickets print out when it's time to make the order.

We are also implementing a local delivery service where people can preorder with us and we'll deliver it on Friday night. Right now we're doing it by email to take their item order and we respond back with a Square Invoice to capture payment. Has anyone successfully found a way to do local delivery with the Online Store platform?

It would be awesome if besides Pickup or Shipping, merchants could toggle on a Local Delivery button and the merchant could set a few options, such as "Delivery on Friday night, 4-7pm," "Delivery on Saturday afternoon, 12-6pm." Maybe with an option to assign a fee, but that's less important during this emergency response.

Thank you and be safe.

3 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: Set up specific date and time selection for Square Online orders (Pre-orders)

@lonestar31 @MCTMN 

We are currently testing Batch Processing in our Beta Community, which may help you out. This is another update to allowing pre-orders on your online store.  We'd love for you to join in the test and provide feedback.

To get started:

Please join our Square Online testing group.
Once accepted there are instructions in the group of how to get started in the test.

Verified Answer

Re: Feature request: Pre-Order Handling

Hi all! Thank you for jumping into. your thread for pre-orders and more customizable delivery/pick up options. We're excited that this feature is now moving into Beta testing, and we'd love to have you check it out.

Please take a few minutes to ready our Beta Recruiting post- and make sure you're a fit. We're looking to get his launched in the next few days. Also if you've replied to this thread, we will be sending you information on this test via DM as well.

Verified Answer

The title of this post has been edited from the original: How to set up date and time selection for Square Online orders

Hi,

We quickly built a Square/Weebly Online Store this week so that people could place contactless/curbside orders for our gelato shop. It's working great and I love that the tickets print out when it's time to make the order.

We are also implementing a local delivery service where people can preorder with us and we'll deliver it on Friday night. Right now we're doing it by email to take their item order and we respond back with a Square Invoice to capture payment. Has anyone successfully found a way to do local delivery with the Online Store platform?

It would be awesome if besides Pickup or Shipping, merchants could toggle on a Local Delivery button and the merchant could set a few options, such as "Delivery on Friday night, 4-7pm," "Delivery on Saturday afternoon, 12-6pm." Maybe with an option to assign a fee, but that's less important during this emergency response.

Thank you and be safe.

333 Comments

Yes, same as you guys! We are a catering company that has moved to the online ordering model as well. Currently I use dates and required modifiers to force people into choosing the date they want and except for 1-2 x in the last month, it has worked, but would be SO much cleaner if the date was selectable as an option during checkot

I feel ya David, best of luck to us both!

We are also struggling with delivery radius.  Right now, we are happy to go north and south by 20 miles, but not east or west.  Squarespace, a similar marketplace site, will let you create a list of eligible zip codes.  It's great.  Would love to see that on Squareup.

Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your voice here, @asol! And thanks for sharing the workaround and setup that you've found success with.

Our Product Teams actively review these threads and this information is passed over to them directly. Should any news come down the pipeline in regards to a feature like this, we will post up here on this thread and update everyone.

Thanks, again!

Beta Member

A friendly warning that you cannot change date and time of orders. 

This is the major issue that has troubled our business.

This wrecks havoc on the "orders" section on the app, especially if you're a business that sells preorders more than a week in advance which is the norm during upcoming holidays. 

Thanks @asol , can you describe what you mean by "using dates and required modifiers"?  

One thought I had was to move us from a food service template to a retail template.  I wonder if that is what you are using, and maybe therefore you have more modifiers.... because the only thing folks can modify on our marketplace is the qty they order and their delivery address.  Thanks muchos, and good luck in all you do!

Thanks @nika , yes that is what I was asking about.  For pick-ups yes, but for deliveries too!  People seem to be able to figure out from the website that they can pick up during a certain window, but the delivery thing is tougher.  The website seems to kick off arbitrary days on people's confirmations.  All of our orders from last week had different "delivery by" on the orders, some two days, some two weeks and everywhere in between.  We hacked it by just showing our store hours as Saturday only (which was our delivery day), but confused people who wanted to know why we weren't open any other days.

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can I set a single date for an item to be allowed, to be picked up?

We are doing special one-day events for food and beer pickups. I would like like to know if I can set a fixed pickup date? 

I have my hours set to Saturday from 1 pm-7 pm so the customer has a pickup window but I would like to set it for Saturday, May 16th 1-7 so that way they don't pick the wrong date for the special event like the following Saturday.

This issue also plagues our business. As the business owner we should have the ability to update the date of pickup, especially if the customer instructs us too. This is needed for our record keeping and accuracy of packing our farm vegetables and cheese orders. Square, where are you on making pickup/delivery times editable by either the business or the customer. This, like healthcare and farmworkers, seeds essential to keep us and our businesses alive and healthy.

Beta Member

@PDXMOMMA It looks like you can edit the prep time for each individual item. You cannot select a specific day of the week, but there are choices for days/weeks/business days....Maybe you can tweak it there according to when you make the item active.

Regarding "business days" I think that calculates based on the days you indicate you are open on your shop settings. I am not open every day, and so a 2 day lead varies depending on which day of the week the person orders.

Beta Member

By being unable to change the date and time of orders, it makes the order section on our ipad ineffective, and we even miss orders because the orders will fill up on the screen at a certain number, new orders don't populate at the top and we can't seem to scroll down.

That's because the old orders are labeled as "Overdue" and stay at the top. We maintain a spreadsheet external of the app, make manual paper order slips with correct info, as a way to have 3 layers of protection. More work but it helps prevent errors.