x
Beta Member

How are others that price by a decimal quantities working their charges?

We sell our farm's meat and poultry at farmer's markets, on farm and by delivery, and price mostly by the pound.  I'd love to have the ability to set the quantity to a decimal input, so I can enter the weight on the package meat and be able to have a set price on the item, but that is still not available.  So most of our items are just "variable" pricing, and I have to have a calculator in one hand, or go to back and forth from the calculator app on my phone to Square, to calculate the price on all our beef and pork.  The only other option I've been told is to set a price for .01 or .001 lb, and enter the decimal amount in as a whole number.  So if a Pork Shoulder Roast is $8.00/lb, and weights are in tenths, like 2.78 lbs, I'd have to set the price for the item as $.08 and input the quantity as 278, since it only takes whole numbers.  This seems like an expensive accident just waiting to happen.  And trying to explain why I have to do this to customers, and how it would show up on their receipts, just doesn't seem worth it, even if it would save time not having to calulate everything while inputing.  Are their any other farmers, butchers, or others who price by decimal quantities doing it this way successfully?  If so, do customers care?

Message 1 of 315
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Square now offers the ability to charge decimal quantities. Start by visiting Items in Dashboard, then set the unit type. You can choose from a list of preset units, such as pounds, ounces, and feet.

You can also choose to add your own custom unit — in whole number or decimal quantities. Learn more here

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 313 of 315
314 REPLIES 314

I have 2 requests.

Firstly - would it be possible to add the ability to put incremental values in the invoices quantity field.  A lot of my jobs are done by hourly rate, or part there of, and it would be great it I could just put 1.5 for one and a half hours.  Instead of doing them in 15 minute increments which confuses my customers.

Secondly -  when you first enter a customer at point of sale, it won't let you skip over the email address.  I have a few clients that don't like giving out their email address and then I have to put mine in and then go into customers and remove it again.  Why can't we have email address and/or phone number option to send receipts at time of sale?

Message 85 of 315

I feel your pain on partial quantities. I too need this. 

As far as the email thing, when you create a customer with the app or online you don't have to enter an email address at all. 

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this one:

"Why can't we have email address and/or phone number option to send receipts at time of sale?"

When you complete a sale it always prompts you on how to send the receipt.

Message 86 of 315

Just adding myself and 3 photographers to this thread who charge and invoice by the hour.  

~ Brian

Message 87 of 315

I would like this feature as well very confusing as to why it isn't already avaliable??????

Message 88 of 315

There is a real world solution, make the fraction part of the item. 

Instead of your item being ONE hour of labor, let your item be 1/2 hour of labor or 1/4 hour of labor if you. Bill out quarterly hour segments. 

Example:

1 Hour $50 hr.         1.5 qty.   75 dollars

Problem, cannot do 1.5 QTY

so solution:

1/2 Hour Labor $25.       Qty 3.       75dollars

Message 89 of 315
Beta Member

I let anyone that ask me about square that this could be a big negative for them if the need fractional numbers. I am starting to think that since most of the world is metric that they do not see it as a priority. Time is a different story as it is the same world wide. They just cannot figure out how to add something that they already have in the app in other places. I wish everyone would complain about this because when it comes to a need for them they will be in the same boat as us. 3 stars for the app and a -2 for support rates this app at a 1 for now.     Alan [personal information redacted]

From: Square Community Team < no-reply@sellercommunity.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 1:13:02 PM
To: [personal information redacted]

Subject: Re: How are others that price by a decimal quantities working their charges? (The Seller Community Subscription Update)  

Hi AlanA,

Zumbasan (Level 1) posted a new reply in Retail Group Discussionon 04-19-2018 10:13 AM :

Re: How are others that price by a decimal quantities working their charges?

So today (April 19 2018), Square came out with a fully-free version of Square Appointments. Appointments allows bookings on the half-hour and quarter-hour. However I still cannot invoice for hours that are not whole numbers! I just started using Square and see others have been asking for this feature for years now. I invoice using one lineitem with the total, and the math included in the Notes section. Looks pretty rediculous.

The Seller Community sent this message to [personal information redacted]

You are receiving this email because a new message matches your subscription to a thread.

To control which emails we send you please go to, manage your subscription & notification settingsor unsubscribe.

Message 90 of 315
Beta Member

I sell product by weight and I have to set my item price by the tenth of a pound. Then the customer thinks I have just sold them 5 pounds when in reality they are paying for and receive a half pound. You can only imagine how many times a day we get ask why we charged them For this amount and only received what they ask for. Very frustrating for us and the customer. I am setting up an app called Cashier which will allow decimal quantities. I will start using it for the month of May to see how it works. Tired of waiting for what I see as a bug to be fixed in this app. 

Message 91 of 315

Add us to the list of people that really need partial quantities!  We sell meat at the farmers market and all of our items are not in full pound increments.  This makes keeping inventory and tracking item sales impossible at the market.  This can not be that hard to change in an update! Thanks. 

Message 92 of 315

This is a MUCH NEEDED enhancement request.

I really don't have the time to read through the pages of history here, but I find it hard to believe that this company cannot hire a programmer to code this!

Horrifying example of customer service to acknowledge this feature/ability is lacking and then pay lip service to it for over a year and a half...

And here I was thinking I could actually use this service for more online invoicing...

Message 93 of 315
Admin

@kahml I'm sorry that this feature isn't available yet for you. We're continuing to advocate for this for you and all the sellers who need partial quantities for Invoices so thank you for your ocmment, As soon as we have any news we'll change the status fo this request and you'll be automatically notified. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 94 of 315

I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION

One that is NOT confusing, in that its not confusing to setup, not confusing to use, and most important, not confusing for your customer, as long as you do it right and add the key wording so your customer can see what theyre paying for.

The answer is in VARIATIONS.

I set up my labor as an item. 

Then I set up 3  variations under it, and write it just like this :

1/4 (Quarter Hour) Labor  and the price for another..

1/2 (Half Hour) of in House Labor  (be descriptive )                              

1 Hour Labor

so when I go to create an invoice, or a sale from phone, I just grab one item, labor, and choose which variation you want (make sure you include an HOUR labor in there too!)

It appears on the invoice with the main item description (dont use time here, just service description ( Apple In house labor, or Freshly sliced Roast Beef)  then below it in smaller letters "1/2 pound" or "1/2 (half) pound" , 1/2 hour (half)  and the price reflects a half hour.

Play around with VARIATIONS

Message 95 of 315
Beta Member

What if an item weighs in at 1.367pounds? I have my pricing set at .1 lb now and it still does not work well for me. All I need is to be able to enter 1.367. 

Message 96 of 315

While I've been advocating in my business for exclusive use of Square, it's become apparent that it won't work for us because of the inability to enter fractions. We sell fabric, in fractions of a yard. The idea of having to use a calculator to figure a dollar amount for a variable fraction is ludicrous.  Electronic cash registers have been able to do this since nearly their beginning and were a major benefit over the mechanical register. The fact that an $80 cash register can do fractions (a device that comes with a one time payment instead of on going support charges) and that there are plenty of lower cost charge card solutions makes this problem seem... untenable.

Fractions. An elementary school problem. A (Android or iOS) device that makes my Commodore 64 look like a paperclip. And, more than two years of community recommendation/problem reporting, without a solution? I can't imagine, from a programmer's perspective, what is so hard about providing this option, and why you would choose to ignore such a large portion of the sales community.

After so many years, it's hard to believe the Square is NOT yet ready for the mainstream.

Get with it before someone steals your cheese.

Message 97 of 315

I don't understand (with it now being 2018... not 1998 or even 2008) why Square invoices do not have an option to allow for a deposit (or at least allow the customer to pay part of the total).  For all of the things Square does right (and in some cases, above my expectations), this is something that they need to figure out (it really can't be that difficult).  Hopefully someone who has the ability to make decisions can make this a priority as I know it's been requested before (numerous times).

If I'm missing something or there's a setting I'm not aware of, please let me know.

Thanks!

Message 98 of 315

Wow, 2 + years later and this is still not implemented! This is just inexcusable. Oh well, back to paypal. 

Message 99 of 315
Alumni

Message 100 of 315

This comment was created from merging the thread "How to make the Quantity on invoices a fraction like 2.5". The author has been notified via email. 

Brand new to Square (as you'll see): When I'm sending an invoice, how to I make the "quantity" a fraction, like 2.5?  I'm not able to add the decimal. This is necessary when charging for time, 2.5 hours for example. Thanks. 

Message 101 of 315
Super Seller

Unfortunately Square doesn't offer support for fractional items.

What I do in cases like this is use a custom item named "Labor: $xx/hr @ 2.5 hours" then just manually figure out what the total cost onto the Invoice would be. It's a workaround, but the best I've found so far.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 102 of 315

I can't believe Square refuses to fix this.  It's so simple!    Like others, this is moving me to PayPal.

Message 103 of 315

Any update on this? Seems silly this isn't implemented.

Message 104 of 315

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Is there an option for service-only square users for doing partial hours?

I own a small bookkeeping and tax preparation business, and I need to be able to bill to the .25 hr. I have noticed that when I go to put in my time for billing I have to triple check, preview, edit, and then preview again before billing. Then on the instances where I have say 9.25 hours I have to add a discount to be able to get the correct subtotal and tax.

Is there an option for service only square users for doing partial hours?

Message 105 of 315