x

Feedback about Square Admin Participation

[This thread was created by moving comments from the Product Update "Important Update: Loyalty Stars will be called Loyalty Points starting May 29th"]

@Kpay@Sean@katieand ... It's very odd to me that each of you as employees / Square Admins are liking user comments from paying customers. I'm on other user boards and I've never seen employees like comments. It's interesting that you liked the comment "If the term points or stars is what makes or breaks your return business then you have bigger issues to worry about".  I'm curious, have any of you owned your own business? Do each of you understand the full impact of this change on the businesse that will be negatively impacted with this step back functionality that was announced 2 weeks in advance?

Each of you deprectiate the value of the his User Board by your participation. You're Admins, not Product Management or Product Marketing providing a text response. You are intentionally skewing the feedback process.

If you can Like comments, you can type text to respond to this posting. Thank you.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller Alumni

@GoodGrapes Who cares if they like a comment? It skews nothing. Likes only Count for recognition and acknowledgement, not for moving forward with an idea - and if you notice, they like comments of all viewpoints as long as they’re productive.

It’s a community, I want my moderators/admins to get involved. That’s what makes it a community and gives it value. 

You’re the one that’s devaluing this board with constant negativity, sniping, and manipulation. On any other user board that I use, you would have been banned ages ago. 

Square is a business, they make decisions, that’s what happens. I’m sure your store makes decisions without sitting down with and asking everyone of your customers individually, with any notice let alone 2 weeks. Some people like your changes, some don’t. But you need to make them and do what’s right for you or for a big number of your customers. Same thing. 

And yea, just like you sold your customers on stars, you can sell them on points. It’s the same exact program, just a name change. It’s really not the end of the world. A simple “yes they’re called points now, but it’s the same program” and people will be fine with it. 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 2 of 7

@pessosices You're special attention makes me feel special. I'm curious, do you read all of the posts on the Seller Board or just mine? Perhaps you've noticed that you're view isn't the only view supported and that this change impacts people / businesses differently. Have a truly wonderful day.

Message 3 of 7
Super Seller Alumni

@GoodGrapes You’ve just proven my point. 

And yes, I do read every single post in the Seller Community.

And maybe you’ve noticed your opinion isn’t the only one either. 

Thanks, you too

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 4 of 7

@pessosices  I was busy earlier and found the immediacy of your response strange and compulsive, however, I want to give a complete response to your personal attack.

Based on your comment of Admins liking viewpoints as long as they’re productive, you’ve just stated that three Square employees / Admins didn’t find 19 comments from paying customers as productive. Based on your logic, the only comments the employees / Admins found productive were comments that supported the already implemented change based on input from a miniscule number of paying customers. The optics on that isn’t good. Do you have the backing of Square to support your position?

Oh, and my feedback to the Admins had nothing to do with you.

Good for you that you haven’t tied stars to the overall experience that your customers should expect.

Good for you that you don’t have marketing materials that are no longer relevant.

Good for you that you have money to spare to create new marking materials (e.g., “You’re our star” to “You’re our point”).

Good for you that you have employees sitting around eating bon bons that can immediately address the marketing and training needs based on this sudden change.

It’s unfortunate, yet not my issue, that you don’t value my comments. I don’t care.

It’s unfortunate that you don’t appear to understand the impact difference depending upon which loyalty program option is implemented. I don’t care that you don’t understand.

My impact to this change appears to be different than your impact. That doesn’t diminish my impact. I provided feedback based on my business. I’m not a realist and not a cheerleader.

You clearly don’t understand the impact to my and other businesses with this change. So stop commenting on something you don’t understand. Most importantly, stop telling me what I’m going to tell my customers.

Stop harassing me. If it helps, stop reading my comments.

Message 5 of 7
Alumni

@GoodGrapes, thank you for the feedback about our participation. I wanted to clarify our moderation strategy - we "like" comments that promote constructive conversation and that contribute new use cases. We often like comments on multiple sides of an issue, as long as the comments are describing the use cases or *why* behind their position. It's really helpful for us to hear how and why people disagree with a change, as that gives us useful information we can relay to product teams.

Additionally, we like comments that contribute to the community culture and environment we're building and upholding. Ideally, this is an environment where people can ask questions and give feedback openly, and approach conversations from a place of curiosity, rather than defensiveness. So if we see comments that support that goal, we may like them. 

Our likes are also not correlated with any official tally of support for products or features - they are just a way for us to support various discussions in the community. I hope this helps clarify things and feel free to send me a private message if you'd like to discuss further. 

Thank you, 

Kelly 

Message 6 of 7

@Kpay. Thanks for your explanation. Again, it’s interesting that you and the Admins only found comments that supported this business impacting change. Additionally, there were many comments not supporting the change that included the “why” and feedback on why the change was an issue for them. Unless the Likes changed since last night, you can readily review the comments to confirm this – the data is there.

If you scan the number of Likes you can get a feel for the general position of the topic from the Sellers on this Seller Board. I now understand that to get that understanding of Sellers' perspectives, one has to open every Like total to determine if it’s a Seller or an Admin. Since Admins aren't impacted by the software changes, I’m not interested in an Admin’s view as it doesn’t reflect my peers’ opinion and experiences.

Message 7 of 7