x

General Data Protection Regulation?

What is Sqaure doing to get ready for the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)?  I've received an email from just about every other website/company I deal with saying what their are doing but haven't heard from Square.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @HomeOnTheRange

It took a bit longer than expected to get the most accurate answer for you from our GDPR Team. While the response you received from our CS Team applies to most sellers, it doesn’t quite answer your question specifically.

For instances like yours, where you accept payments from folks visiting your business from the EU and collect their information with Square Marketing, you’ll be covered since buyers are informed of how their information will be used with a disclosure that appears on the touchscreen where they sign up for receipts.

Providing their email address or phone number for their digital receipts is optional, and they can opt-out by tapping “No Thanks”.

When they reach the receipt screen, they’ll see the following message:

“By providing your contact information you agree business you frequent may send you digital receipts, marketing, and messages via Square.  See your digital receipt for privacy policy and preferences.”

Hopefully this alleviates your concerns, but let me know if you need more clarification or have any other specific questions around this.

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Alumni

Hi @HGXADV - Square recently updated our Terms of Service and sent out an email about it (I believe in April) to comply with the GDPR. Are you able to find the email? 

Message 2 of 7

I reviewed the April email and am still wondering how US based sellers with EU based customers (in my case travelers that are visiting, not online sales) are affected and if we are covered?  My understanding is that there are some rules that might affect Square Marketing or the collected email addresses?  Thanks.

Message 3 of 7
Alumni

Hi @HomeOnTheRange - Thanks for this question! I'm sharing it with some GDPR experts, but haven't heard back from them yet. I'll reply once I hear back. 

Message 4 of 7

I'm interested in knowing as well. 

Message 5 of 7

Here is the response I received from Square Support:

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 3:27 PM, Square Customer Success <square@help-messaging.squareup.com> wrote:

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for writing in about GDPR - I’d be glad to clarify.

The GDPR is only applicable to Square merchants who handle the data of EU residents. Since your business operates outside of the EU, you are likely not required to perform any actions regarding GDPR, unless you provide services or ship products to customers that live in the EU.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I’m happy to help.

Take Care,
Michael

Square Customer Success

I responded with this on May 23rd and have not heard anything back:

Hello again - 

If the GDPR applies to Square merchants that handle data of EU residents, I know for sure that I have processed credit cards from EU residents.   How do I make sure that I am in compliance?  For services like Square Marketing, how do I know that the data collected from an EU resident is with their consent and following the GDPR guidelines?

Thanks,
Jennie

Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @HomeOnTheRange

It took a bit longer than expected to get the most accurate answer for you from our GDPR Team. While the response you received from our CS Team applies to most sellers, it doesn’t quite answer your question specifically.

For instances like yours, where you accept payments from folks visiting your business from the EU and collect their information with Square Marketing, you’ll be covered since buyers are informed of how their information will be used with a disclosure that appears on the touchscreen where they sign up for receipts.

Providing their email address or phone number for their digital receipts is optional, and they can opt-out by tapping “No Thanks”.

When they reach the receipt screen, they’ll see the following message:

“By providing your contact information you agree business you frequent may send you digital receipts, marketing, and messages via Square.  See your digital receipt for privacy policy and preferences.”

Hopefully this alleviates your concerns, but let me know if you need more clarification or have any other specific questions around this.

Message 7 of 7