x
Admin

Get to know Some Inspiring Square Sellers: SUB Photo

@Michael_L is the owner of SUB Photo, a photographic studio located in the University of Alberta. A member of the Seller Community since 2019 Michael finds the time to help other sellers by answering questions and he frequently contributes to feature request threads too (thank you!). 

It's high time we learned more about Michael and his business! 

Tell us about your business!

I run a photographic studio called SUB Photo; the name may seem a touch odd but it comes from our location in the "Students' Union Building" at the University of Alberta.  We offer a wide range of photography services, with the largest part of our clients visiting us for either graduation portraits or passport / ID photos.

What’s the best business advice you’ve received?

To set my prices based on what I would need to be paid in order to enthusiastically do a great job for my clients.  This helps avoid the feeling that "I'm not being paid enough for this" when a client is a bit more demanding - and ensures I don't need to cut corners on good quality products to stay profitable.

How do you stay relevant in your industry and community?

By accepting change ... or at least doing my best! My clients are at the forefront of change, in technology and social issues and many other areas, so asking them for their thoughts and suggestions is very helpful.  I try stay aware of current media and online activities - not necessarily to participate as much as to know what's happening and perhaps find marketing opportunities.

When did you start using Square? Any tips?

I started with Square just over a year ago.  We use Square in three ways: we use the Square API to process our online photo sales, we use the Square Stand (iPad version) as our point-of-sale at the studio, and we use the phone app for our on-location photo shoots.  (The larger iPad interface is SO much nicer!) I made my own icons for my Item Catalogue so the products are easy to identify by colour and grouping. (Does Square have icon packs for different types of businesses?)

What do you wish you knew on day 1 of your business?

That hiring a good employee enables you to achieve much more than you can by yourself. I tried to run the shop on my own for far too long because I was a bit scared of the cost and responsibility, but when I finally did hire someone I realized that having help was a huge relief!

Screenshot 2020-03-10 at 14.04.43.png

Would you like to be featured our Inspiring Sellers series? Send @Helen a private message!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 1 of 1
0 REPLIES 0