x
Square Community Moderator

Getting Started with Square eGift Cards: FAQs

animated-gift-card-deck-en-c4051fc6a614cd4e2e7203be19bda579.gifAs businesses move toward a mobile world Square’s digital eGift Cards are an important addition to online and brick and mortar businesses alike. Square eGift Cards can be sold from your Point of Sale, and from a free order page online. 

Every business selling eGift Cards is automatically listed on Square's Give and Get Local Directory where customers can search local sellers to purchase gift cards.

Below is a list of FAQs for setting up your eGift Cards, creating a promotion for eGift Cards, and eGift Card reporting. If you have any other questions let us know in the comments below.

Get started: How to set Up eGift Cards

How much do eGift Cards cost?

Fees for eGift Cards only apply when the customer is paying to load the gift card with a credit or debit card. When you sell an eGift Card from the Point of Sale app Square’s standard card processing fees apply. If a customer wants to pay for an eGift Card with cash then no fees will apply to that sale.

When you sell an eGift Card from your online order page the Square’s Online Store per transaction fee is applied to the total amount of the sale. 

When the recipient redeems the eGift Card at your business no processing fee is applied to the transaction.

Can I sell eGift Cards from my Point of Sale? 

You can set up and sell eGift Cards from the Square app on any device including from the Square Register and Square Terminal. To sell eGift Cards Online you’ll also need to sign in to your online Square Dashboard and enable eGift Cards from the Gift Cards tab.

To set up and sell eGift Cards from your Square app:

1. Navigate to the Settings section of the app.
  2. Tap Gift Cards and toggle on Sell eGift Cards in Store.
  3. Tap Add Designs to select designs for your eGift Cards or to upload your own design. Once you have this enabled you will see how many active designs you have available for sale.
  4. Enter minimum/maximum load amounts and enter a custom policy (optional).

* In order to sell eGift Cards from the Square for Restaurants app follow the steps above in the Point of Sale app first. After you’ve enabled eGift Cards from the app open the Square for Restaurants app > tap Actions > tap Gift Cards > Sell Gift Cards.

Can I edit the eGift Card load amounts?

Yes. Check out this Seller Community post for the steps to set up or edit the eGift Card amounts from your online Square Dashboard.

If I add my own eGift Card design, what dimensions should my image be?

You can add a custom design from the eGift Card section of your online Dashboard. Upload a JPEG or PNG file from your iPhone or iPad, or from your online Square Dashboard. The recommended dimensions are 640 X 400 pixels.

Can I publish my eGift Card order page in Spanish?

Your eGift Card website will automatically display in the preferred language that your customer has chosen for their web browser.

How do I disable my eGift Card order page?

You can choose stop selling eGift Card online at any time. From your online Square Dashboard click Gift Cards > eGift Card Configuration > toggle Sell eGift Cards Online off.

How to sell and redeem eGift Cards

Can my eGift Cards be redeemed at other businesses?

Your eGift Cards can only be redeemed at your business — including all of your business locations. They cannot be redeemed on any online store platforms outside of your Square Online Store powered by Weebly. If you have another ecommerce platform, you will need to embed your eGift Card link to your online store. Find this on the Square Dashboard under eGift Cards.

My customer can’t find their eGift Card. How do I resend it?

First, locate your eGift Cards from the Transactions section of your online Square Dashboard. You when you’ve located the eGift Card click the blue eGift Card number in the transaction details > click Resend.

Note: If you scheduled an eGift Card you can only resend an eGift Card after it has been successfully delivered on the scheduled delivery date. 

How do I check the balance of a customer's eGift Card?

Take a look at this Support Center article for the steps to check the balance of an eGift Card from the app.

Can my customers redeem their eGift Cards from my Square Online Store?

Yes, at checkout your customers will see the option to click Use Gift Card or Promo code.

Market Your eGift Cards

How do I let my sellers know about my new eGift Cards?

You can send a free email campaign to let your customers know that they can buy an eGift Card from you online or in store. Check out our guide to getting started with Square Marketing.

Can I offer discounts on eGift Cards? 

You can create a dollar or percentage discount or you can create a unique promotion code for eGift Card orders made online. Check out this Support Center article for the steps to create an eGift Card promotion.

Can I set up a buy-one-get-one-free promotion or offer a free item with the purchase of an eGift Card?

Not at this time but this is a popular request that we’re tracking. In the meantime, a workaround that may help is to create 100% discount on a gift card item — check out this post for more details.

Can I limit the number of times an eGift Card promotion code can be used?

No, but you can set an expiration date so the code can’t be used after a specific date. You can also disable a promotion code at any time from your Square Dashboard.

You can also promote your eGift Cards on Google. Read this Product Update to learn more!

How to view eGift Card Reports

How can I keep track of my eGift Card sales?

You can view your eGift Card sales from your online Square Dashboard. To get started:

Sign in to your online Square Dashboard > click Sales > Reports > Gift Cards. Your eGift Cards sales are listed as a separate line at Digital. Find more information about reporting in the Square Glossary.

Is there a way to be notified of each time an eGift Card is sold online?

An email notification will be sent to you and the buyer once the order is placed. The recipient will also receive an email notification when the gift card is sent.

There isn't a specific email notification for Gift Cards sales at this time. We're keeping a close eye on this feature request and we'll share any updates. In the meantime you can receive per transaction emails which will notify you each time a sale is completed in your Square account. Set this up under Account & Settings > Email Notifications in your Square Dashboard.

Additional resources for eGift Cards

Set up and Manage Square eGift Cards 

Create eGift Card Promotions

How your customers order eGift Cards (including from the Give and Get Local Directory)

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

This is great work, @AshleyK👏👏👏

Joe
Message 2 of 19
Super Seller Alumni

Absolutely amazing! Thanks so much @AshleyK for compiling & putting this all together! Definitely a huge help!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 3 of 19
Beta Member

We have a promotion every year where if you purchase a $50 gift card you receive a free t-shirt. Is there any way to make this a purchasable item?

Message 4 of 19

Hi there, @MeatsnFoods 👋 Are you specifically trying to make gift card purchasing available through an Online Store?

Joe
Message 5 of 19
Beta Member

No, we're trying to add the ability to purchase a specific item: $50 egift card and note that it comes with a free t-shirt. 

Message 6 of 19

Got it! This should be doable by just creating a specific item through the Online Store. You can label the item as $50 Gift Card with Free T-Shirt or even put the free t-shirt within the description if you like. That should get you where you need to be. 

Joe
Message 7 of 19
Beta Member

I don't see how to create an egift card as a menu item?

Message 8 of 19

I would also like to know how to do this!

Message 9 of 19

@MeantsnFoods and @fuegocoffee You can sell eGift Cards via Actions > Gift Cards in the Restaurants Point of Sale app. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 10 of 19
Beta Member

We use the standard Square app. Can we do it there?

Message 11 of 19
Alumni

Yup! Check out this article @MeatsnFoods

Justin
Message 12 of 19
Beta Member

This doesn't create a menu item tho. I'm talking about adding a menu item that can be sold like a product if a customer goes to our online store. We already have a link to the eGift card page but it's a separate transaction from the rest of our products.

Message 13 of 19

We just started selling gift cards on the Square register today.  How do I sell gift cards on the iPad (app version 5.51). I do not see the option on the iPad. I do have a square card reader for it. 

Message 14 of 19

Hey! Make sure you set up your gift card balances here in your Dashboard. You should see an item available for "gift cards" on your Point of Sale. 

AshleyK
Message 15 of 19

Can my clients use eGift-cards to book through Square Appointments?

Message 16 of 19

Can I use the electronic gift cards for customers for returns if they want to return a item? If so do you know how I get started?

Message 17 of 19

Heya @fashion0211 and welcome to the Community.

We only offer return/exchange options with our Square for Retail subscription.

You can choose to comp an e-Gift card yourself and that's detailed in this existing thread here.

Ashley C
Message 18 of 19
Beta Member

This was so helpful to me as a new Square/Weebly user. Thank you so much.

One thing I'm still unclear on is where exactly on my Square Online website does the customer see the option to buy Gift Cards from my online store? 

Before I discovered Square's Gift Card option, I created a separate Gift Card "category" and items" on my own. So, do I need to remove this? If I remove it, I just don't know where to direct customers to on my website to buy the gift cards. 

Please clarify as I'm not very technically savyy. Thank you so much.

Kyikyi 

Message 19 of 19