x

Gift card options

Why are gift cards so expensive and we have no options for using other vendors.  This is ridiculous!!!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

Hello @chicpier and thanks for your question. I understand your frustration with all of the expenses for running a business; as a fellow small biz owner I feel your pain and often wish technology costs would be less. Keep in mind that just like other business related expenses, gift card can be a deductible expense as the cost of running your business (check with your tax advisor for specific details).

I'm sure there was a lot of technological and logistics invested by Square in setting up processing for gift cards that would seamlessly and accurately interface with the terminal and Register used by merchants like yourself. I've used physical gift cards for my store for well over three years now and they work great. Did you know that you can REUSE your gift cards when a customer turns them in? If they are in good condition you can clear the balance and reload them. If you order the minimum quantity with intention to reuse them, you could save some money that way.

Another option is to offer digital gift cards. You'll find their cost very reasonable 😉 check out the info here.

And there is also the option to offer hardcopy cards that you would manually fill out, but of course there would be more work on your end to keep track of the balances when you offer and redeem these. Part of the cost of the gift cards you'd order would be offset by saving all of this manual data entry.

I hope you're able to find an affordable solution for offering gift cards to your customers. I think you should at least try the digital option at the link above, especially with the Holidays coming up as customers will be looking at this option for gift giving. Happy selling with Square and best of luck to you and your business! 😀🔲

Message 2 of 6

This email is a dog and pony show response!  As a business owner with an MBA I do know my options. I was one of squares best voices until recently.  Not happy with you guys lately. 

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

Hey @chicpier I started passing the cost of the Gift Card onto my customer about 2 years ago! I have NEVER had one person complain about it and I label it as a "Gift Card Activation Fee" Most all Major Retailer's do this now and Most people expect it anymore!  Just an idea! I know it doesn't help with the upfront cost of cards. 

Jacob - He/ Him
JJs Meat Shak - Co-Owner& Operations Manager
Supper Seller- Here to help! Just Ask!
http://www.jjsmeatshak.com
Message 4 of 6

I don’t mind the upfront cost of the cards. I do mind that we don’t have an option. Only option is to pay higher cost with only one vendor. Square is becoming such an old boy network. 

Message 5 of 6
Super Seller

We have been using Square gift cards for years and years.  on average they have been used 5 times now with reloading for new customers.  Yes they are more expensive than other card E-card systems offer, BUT there is no expense other than the card, there is no loading fee, monthly service fee, etc.  The basic plan alone is $15 from Ecard and that adds up to a lot over time.  you can load a card for free if it is cash payment.

Sure beats the old gift certificate and journal of the old days for 80¢ investment than can be reused.

Message 6 of 6