x
Admin

Guide: Choosing Square Point of Sale hardware for your business

You’ve may have heard about the Square Reader and you might have seen the Square Register at a business near you. Square enables you to accept credit and cards and contactless payment types like Apple and Google Pay. 

But how do you decide which Square Point of Sale system is suitable for your business? We’ve put together this overview of Square card readers and POS systems to help you select Square hardware that meets your needs.

Square Reader for magstripe (with Lightning connector) 

gallery-lightning-reader-01.jpg

Connect the Square Reader for magstripe to your mobile device (Android or iOS) to accept credit cards. To accept debit and chip PIN cards you’ll need the Square Reader for contactless and chip (see below!).

How much does it cost? Your first magstripe reader is free! Additional magstripe readers cost $10 each.

Where can I get one? Order a reader online from the Square Shop or from the Settings section of Point of Sale app. Readers arrive in 7 to 10 business days and shipping is free! 

Need a magstripe reader ASAP? Buy a reader in a retail location near you.

Suitable for: Getting started with Square! Anyone who needs to accept credit cards on the go, or who needs a quick set up, e.g. use this reader at fairs, markets, or to accept donations. 

Square Reader for contactless and chip

gallery-contactless-chip-reader-05.jpg

Accept every major credit card, contactless payments including Apple Pay Google Pay. The Square Reader for contactless and chip connects to your device wirelessly via bluetooth.

How much does it cost? $49 or pay in monthly installments. 

Where can I get one? Visit the Square Shop to order Square Reader for contactless and chip Readers arrive in 7 to 10 business days and standard shipping is free! Expedited shipping is available.

Need a contactless and chip card reader ASAP? Pick one up from Staples or BestBuy.

Suitable for: Individuals who need to take payments on the go (wifi or data required to accept chip and tap payments) e.g. farmers markets, fairs, or to accept donations or any business that need a lightweight, pocket-sized Point of Sale.

Square Terminal

gallery-terminal-01.jpg

Square Terminal is an all in one Point of Sale: accept all major cards, Interac debit chip and PIN and contactless payments including Apple Pay and Google Pay. Build your item library, print receipts, and connect hardware accessories with the hub for Square Terminal.

How much does it cost? $299 or pay in monthly installments. 

Where can I get one? Order a Terminal from the Square Shop. Your Stand will arrive in 5-7 business days and standard shipping is free! Expedited shipping is available.

Suitable for: Cafés, bars, or restaurants to accept payments table-side. Also suitable for any business that doesn’t need a static register and connected hardware (see Square Stand below) e.g. art galleries or services or repair businesses like dry cleaners, plumbers, electricians. In addition, you can use Terminal out  in the field (e.g. at tradeshows or for on-site services) by connecting to a mobile hotspot.

Square Stand for contactless + chip

gallery-s1e-1.jpg

Square Stand transforms your iPad into a secure countertop register. Accept all major credit cards and Interac debit chip and PIN. Square Stand also comes with a USB hub so you can connect hardware such as a cash drawer and receipt printer.

How much does it cost? $199 (if you have your own iPad) or pay in monthly installments. If you need to buy an iPad the cost is $648 (tax not included). 

Where can I get one? Order a Square Stand from the Square Shop. Your Stand will arrive in 5-7 business days and standard shipping is free. Expedited shipping is available.

Need a Stand ASAP? Square Stand is also available to buy at Staples and Best Buy locations in Canada. 

Suitable for: Businesses looking for a countertop solution such as retail stores, boutiques or cafés, quick-service restaurants, food trucks, and salons.

Square Register

gallery-X2-03.jpg

With a detachable customer-facing display Square Register is a fully integrated point of sale system. Accept all major chip cards and contactless payments. Connect hardware such as a cash drawer and receipt printer.

How much does it cost? $799 or pay in monthly installments. 

Where can I get one? Order Square Register from the Square Shop. Your Register will arrive in 5-7 business days and standard shipping is free. Expedited shipping (1-2 business days) is available.

Suitable for: Businesses looking for an integrated countertop solution such as retail stores, cafés, restaurants. Square for Retail Free, Plus, and Premium plans, as well as Square for Restaurants Free, Plus, and Premium plans, are available for Square Register. Square Appointments is not yet supported.

We hope this quick overview is helpful. Reply below if you have a question or review these Square hardware FAQs.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Beta Member

I have two questions about the square restaurant hardware kit (with cash drawer); (1) can you add a customer-facing touch screen and contactless payment? and (2) can you use sticky paper/labels (the kind you would put on a coffee cup, for example) in the kitchen printer that comes with the hardware kit?

Message 2 of 13
Alumni

Hi @jkoontz2

To make sure I'm understanding, can you provide a link to the exact hardware kit you are looking at? 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 3 of 13
Beta Member

I’ve used several of Squares point of sales and roughly a year ago I purchased the register. It’s not just a point of sale, its design is very modern and with the customer having their own high definition screen to use, I get a lot of compliments on the register. It’s very easy to use and I’m a huge fan of it. 
In my opinion there’s one major flaw, it doesn’t allow square appointments to operate on it at all. So if I use square appointments, I have to have to schedule an appointments and the register. I think that they’re currently working on it. Just an FYI 

Daniel Viens
Message 4 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Dvcarwash1 - thanks for taking the time to add your voice here!

We're tracking your feature request regarding the Appointments and Register integration in this thread. Stay tuned for updates on Appointments expansion going forward!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 13

Hi, first of all, I thankful to you for sharing the information. listen can you provide a link to the exact hardware kit you are looking at?

Message 6 of 13

so if I have the register in store can I still use the mobile reader at the same time outside?

Message 7 of 13
Admin

Yes you can @cmpritch! You can be logged into one account on multiple devices at the same time. 😎

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 8 of 13
Beta Member

I like the Square Register but I got the Contactless and chip insted

Message 9 of 13
Beta Member

We kept our POS very, very simple - we have a basic iPad with the Square App installed, a Squae Stand, a Square Card Reader and a compatible Printer - pretty much straight forward and it actually works. 

Best JK, 😎

Message 10 of 13

I've searched through many threads to find out how to change the photo (and font) of the "home screen" on the Square (register) customer facing display/ aka "chip reader". Our chip reader works awesome and our restaurant guests love it!!! The only issue is the (Home screen) display that appears when you wake up the ipad. Apparently Square "bots" somehow found a photo from our google or FB profiles and used it as the "Home screen" display with our company name overlayed. It looks awesome except the photo that was chosen does not match our actual product. Customers are commenting... (Question is how do we change this?)

Message 11 of 13
Super Seller

Hi there! Yes! I had a similar, not the same, issue earlier this year. I was able to upload my logo through the square dashboard in settings to show on the customer facing screen. I had to mess around with it a bit, and I believe I also messed around with it on the actual register, but you first have to upload your logo through the dashboard before going into the setting on the register and being able to set the picture you want, for us it was our logo, as the home screen display for the customer! 
i hope this helped!! 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 12 of 13
Super Seller

I'm currently using the Square Register and the Square Terminal and I love them both.....Customers always compliment us about the sleek design of the register.

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 13 of 13