x

Hardware Recommendation for Wifi w/o access to the router

I'm new to Square.

I'm looking for a recommendation on which POS kit I should buy.

I have an iPad 7th generation (released a couple of weeks ago).

The iPad will have cellular connectivity. 

I will have a kiosk in the mall  with wifi access. I won't have access to the wifi router, nor will I have access to an ethernet port.

I'd like to have a cash drawer and receipt printer.

Which kit should I buy?

If a kit isn't compatible with this internet setup, what would you recommend?

Thank you,

Shelby

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller Alumni

We have multiple registers set up throughout our location.  None have access to the router or ethernet ports.  Several use Wi Fi, while several use LTE.

We have the standard white Square stand kits that they sell on the Square website.  They come with the stand, the contactless chip reader, and a small USB hub with three USB inputs. 

You can use the USB receipt printer they sell.

The cash drawer can be used by connecting it to the USB receipt printer using the included cable.  (Not USB...it looks like a phone cord.  It probably is a phone cord. Even though it's not making phone calls.)

The USB barcode scanner connects to the USB hub that is included with the Square Stand.

For the record -- It appears that you MUST use the USB peripherals they sell... or at least the same models they sell.  I tried using the USB receipt printers and USB scanners from our previous setup and the Square Stand doesn't recognize them or work with them.

We've also got a Bluetooth keyboard we use with the iPads at two of the registers.

For the record, I don't think the Square online store does a very good job of explaining the options....I had to contact support before placing our order to make sure the stuff I'd ordered would work.

Hope this helps!  If you have questions and want to reach out, feel free to e-mail me at: jgard@redriverzoo.org.  I can take photos of our various setups so you can see how we've got our gear set up.

Message 2 of 3

Hello @shelbysolis, I think I can get you pointed in the right direction. 

@jjgard has been kind enough to provide a lot of useful information when it comes to picking out a POS Kit. For starters we are still testing Apple's newest iPad for compatibility with the Square Stand. We are confident that it will be compatible and we will make an announcement as soon as we've completed testing. 

We have a great article on Recommended Hardware for the Square Stand. For the USB printer I would take a look at the Star Micronics TSP143IIU. There is only one USB cash drawer that is compatible, the APG Vasario 1416 (VB554A-BL1416). We don't sell this cash drawer on our shop, but it can be found at a number of third party sites. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would be happy to help. 😀

Message 3 of 3