x

Has anyone had a person receive an email receipt for a purchase they didn't make?

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi all. 

If an email address or phone number is typo'd or entered incorrectly for a customer’s receipt, it will be sent to the wrong recipient. 

This receipt doesn't indicate that the card was charged. It simply means that, at some point, the wrong email address or phone number was entered for receipt delivery.

Click on the "Not your receipt?" link on the bottom of the page and it will remove your information from that payment card. 

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Yes, the same thing happened to me this past Saturday. Trying to figure out what to do. Were you able to get throught to Square?

Message 2 of 9

I received two different email receipts today from businesses I have never been to. The first one, I stupidly clicked on a link so now I'm a little freaked out....what's up with this, Square?

Message 3 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi all. 

If an email address or phone number is typo'd or entered incorrectly for a customer’s receipt, it will be sent to the wrong recipient. 

This receipt doesn't indicate that the card was charged. It simply means that, at some point, the wrong email address or phone number was entered for receipt delivery.

Click on the "Not your receipt?" link on the bottom of the page and it will remove your information from that payment card. 

Message 4 of 9

It worked.  Click "not your receipt" at the bottom, then the next page click "sign in" under "Update all preferences.  You don't need to sign in with an account, it will just ask for your cell number and send you a verification code.  enter the code and then it will show all the cards associated with the cell#.  You can delete the card that isn't yours.

Message 5 of 9

I received a receipt meant for the person standing next to me at the shop. We’ve never had our information linked nor did I purchase anything from the shop. She requested the receipt be texted to her number and a few moments later, my phone received the text. So bizarre and  makes concerned about using Square for transactions in public places. 

Message 6 of 9
Admin

Hmm that sounds very strange @lisacristea! It sounds like you may entered your number at the end the previous customer's sale. As EJ mentioned above, if you or the other customer received a receipt in error you can click 'Not You Receipt?' at the bottom of any receipt.

I'm sorry for the concern that this might have caused! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 7 of 9

I have started getting Square reports in my e-mail that are not me and not my credit card? Who do I call to fix this?

Message 8 of 9
Alumni

Oh no! Sorry to hear this @Jerryw9. Check out this thread I moved you to for steps to unlink your email from the payment card associated with the receipt you were sent. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 9