x

Has anyone had experience with using China Union Pay debit cards?

In my past experience accepting China Union Pay cards (debit) was difficult.  Has anyone processed a CUP card, debit or credit, and what was your experience?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi @ljl

If the card is a UnionPay card, it should go through with Square since Square works with most internationally-issued magstripe or chip cards bearing a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB, or UnionPay logo.

If you run into trouble, have the customer contact their card issuing bank. 

Message 2 of 9

I am looking at China UnionPay credit cards being used at my business. We get a lot of Chinese Vistors. Can you advise of you have used the square app and does it actually work with these cards.

Does any other users have any feedback that they could give. Saying they should work is o.k. but I really need to know if the reader does actually accept these cards.

Maybe customer support could also assist with the inquiry.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 9

Hello @vegregy! The process of accepting Union Pay cards is the same as any other supported credit card. There are no extra steps you have to take. 

Message 4 of 9

You can use Square to accept payments from any credit or debit cards bearing a Visa, MasterCard or American Express logo. You can also accept any gift card or prepaid card with the same logos stated above, as long as the amount of the charge does not exceed the balance on the card. Unfortunately, China Union Pay cards aren't currently accepted on Square.

Message 5 of 9
Square Champion

not exactly sure what that meant, but UnionPay (which is the trade name for China Union Pay) is accepted by Square.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5085-accepted-cards

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 6.28.20 PM.png

Message 6 of 9

Hi,

I went back to the source and asked square support if they accepted China Union Pay debit cards in Australia. Below was their response which as far as I am concerned answered my question. Maybe there are other option in countries outside of Australia, (Looks like your article applies to the U.S.) but these options to use cards such as Union Pay are not currently being offered in Australia for reasons I am am not aware of.

"Hi David,

Thanks for contacting Square Support.

You can use Square to accept payments from any credit or debit cards bearing a Visa, MasterCard or American Express logo. You can also accept any gift card or prepaid card with the same logos stated above, as long as the amount of the charge does not exceed the balance on the card. Unfortunately, China Union Pay cards aren't currently accepted on Square.

Every supported card has the same flat rate; corporate, prepaid, gift cards and rewards cards have no additional fees.

To find details about accepted card brands and fees with Square, please visit our Support Centre.

I hope this information helps. If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Cheers,

Chris
Square Support

ref:_00DE0Y7ru._5000L101sGG:ref "

Message 7 of 9

Further info from Square Australia below.

"Square sellers in the US can definitely process Union Pay cards as shown in this Support Centre article. Unfortunately, due to the complexities of credit card processing laws and regulations from country to country, we're still continuing to work with our payments team in the US to bring this functionality to Australia."

Message 8 of 9
Square Champion

ah, there is no way for me to know you were from Australia and that is a key part of the question.  then yes, UnionPay does not work in Australia.  https://squareup.com/help/au/en/article/5085

Message 9 of 9