x

Have you ever had a customer steal after making a purchase?

On Tuesday we had a customer pay with their card ($55)and then as they are walking out, steal an item ($20). This is all caught in camera plain as day, only found out when doing inventory. Large group came in and distracted us while they walked out. Square says they cannot charge their card, as they don’t store information. It was a visa, and in our system says “unknown Name” for their transaction.  Has anyone encountered this, and we’re they able to track them down? I’m not concerned with the $20 but I want to make them pay in other ways (ie: getting arrested). Any help is appreciated! Thank you!! 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

@ColyerHouse ;

Welcome to the Square forums as I see this is your First post.

Without a Name or other Identifying information Police are unable to do more then file a report.  Depending where you are some police do even less because of the Dollar amount of the theft.  Big reason business are leaving San Francisco, California.   I called the police on a person which we had on Camera and her License plate, Car was registered to a Guy so the police just basically told me too bad they are not answering.  The other issue was the plate was not local to the area was registered for an address over 600 miles away.  Other times we had 2 different instances where people stole and the Police caught both  those with in 2 hours.  But we had clear images of their License plates and images of them putting the items in their Pocket or Handbag.  

I have 4K outdoor cameras which some are set to capture License Plates as they exit our lot from different angels, this was the only thing that helped us out.   The store down the road we called the one time and warned them of the people and they basically told me, the police take a report and nothing ever happens.  Called them back later and said get GOOD outdoor cameras that can capture license plates, the cops had our thieves back within 2 hours.  

Sorry for you going through this, as its tough enough being a small business.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 2