x
Admin

Hiring Staff: How to Advertise Your Job

This post is general guidance for informational purposes only. For business or tax advice contact a professional.

You’ve identified how many employees you need, when you need them, and you’ve written your job description. Now, where do you actually find candidates to apply? Below are some ideas.

Click Reply at the end of the post if you have any other thoughts to share!

📋🙂

Keep it simple with a sign

Tried and tested. If you own a store or operate from a physical location, put a sign in the window! Alternatively, you could print a flier to leave on the counter for job seekers to take or for customers to share.

Post the job on your website

This is the digital equivalent of putting a sign in your store window: post the job on your website! Include the steps to apply and your contact information. If it’s not possible to add a dedicated Careers or Jobs section to your website (or if you’re not sure it’s worth the investment yet) you could add it to your website’s About section instead.

Use local community boards (IRL)

In my neighborhood local businesses pin jobs on a board in the community square, and there’s a jobs board in my laundromat too. Some supermarkets have community boards too. If you are looking for part-time/seasonal staff in particular you could consider advertising on student campuses (they might even have a jobs fair you can attend) — but check the campus website to see what the process is.  

Share the position on social media

Advertise open positions on your personal and business social media accounts like Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. For example, add your contact information or a link to the job description in your Instagram bio so interested people can apply.

Your business network, friends, or family can easily forward your post to someone they think should apply. You never know, your best customer might be your best future employee!

Tell your network/get out your address book!

If you’re hiring, let your network know! Tell your current staff, former seasonal staff, vendors, everyone you work with to spread the word and to encourage suitable candidates to apply. Ask your employees how they heard you were looking for help when they applied.

Post the position on a hiring website

This depends on how much time you have to research hiring websites and pricing plans — so of course it’ll depend on your budget too. If you do want to post your job on a hiring website, here are a few popular ones:

• Indeed: Has a free option and additional features cost extra.
  • Zip Recruiter: All features are paid but you can start with a free trial.
  • Craigslist is a popular place to advertise seasonal roles. It’s free but there is a cost to post a job in a specific area.

🙂

I hope this is helpful to you! Click reply here to let us know what’s worked for you, or let us know what hasn’t worked. We’re here to learn!)

giphy

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks so much for putting this together, @Helen !

I'm definitely going to start using these tips immediately - especially posting the job on local community boards & facebook groups! Such a great idea!

We definitely pull the majority of our new hires from customers and friends of current employees. 
We did a little A-B testing when we made our in-store sign, and we got more responses, and a better impression from "We're Hiring" than the classic "Help Wanted".

We also love having our Jobs page on our website (pessosices.com/jobs) because we have all of our requirements listed there. So when people respond to our Social Media Posts or send us emails asking about jobs, we forward them first to that page to make sure that they fit all of the requirements, before moving forward with them in the application process.

Thanks again, and I can't wait to see what other Sellers on here do!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 2 of 5
Admin

I'm delighted that you found this helpful @pessosices! That's so interesting about that such a small change in the wording of your sign made such a big difference, thank you for sharing the insight! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 3 of 5
Beta Member

Hello Helen, is there a way to integrate an application on square website?  I would love for there to be a contact us for positions available but unsure of the most effective way of going about.

Message 4 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Enso,

Thanks so much for reaching out! 

At this time with Square Online there is not a way. You can checkout our App Marketplace. 

With Square’s App Marketplace, you have the ability to browse apps that integrate with Square, all from one single location.

If there is an app you want to use you can embed the code your website.

You can also always submit a feature request as well for our Product Team. As they are constantly improving our products based on feedback like this.

I am sorry I wish it was little bit easier! 

Message 5 of 5