x
Admin

Hiring Staff: How to Write a Job Description

This post is general guidance for informational purposes only. For business or tax advice contact a professional.

Call me an optimist, but doesn’t it feel like spring and summer are just around the corner? 🌻☀️ Why not make the most of quieter days to start planning for hiring seasonal staff and write a job description. In this post we’ve shared a template that might save you time when you’re looking to hire additional employees be it a cashier, server or, office manager!  

There are a lot things to consider so start thinking about these questions:

• How many new employees do you need?
  • How much can you pay them? Who will manage their schedules and payroll?
  • Who will train and manage new staff? 

Job descriptions can be short and sweet or long and detailed.  Keep in mind many people ‘scan’ read, especially online! Use bold formatting or underline to highlight important details such as the job title, requirements/qualifications, and the start/end dates.

How to write a job description: Use a template

Most job descriptions follow a template like this but you can leave out any sections that aren’t relevant:

Job title

The name of your business/your website

Job description

Requirements/qualifications and Preferred or ‘Nice to have’ skills

How to apply

Job title

Sounds obvious but it’s important to use the right term to attract candidates with the right experience.

The name of your business/your website

Describe your business. It might be obvious from the name but if you have a specific ambition, mission, or goal share it here. Add links to your website or social media accounts.

Job description

List the tasks this person will do at your business, the hours they’ll work, their days off, where they’ll be working at, who they’ll be working with, and when you need them to start (if that’s important/soon) and end date for seasonal staff. The list of tasks doesn’t have to be exhaustive but it should give the candidate a good idea of what is expected of them if they were to get the job. Many job descriptions don’t include pay/salary details but you might find it helpful to include a salary range or hourly rate here.

Requirements/qualifications

If the candidate must have a specific qualification or previous experience state that here.

Preferred or ‘nice to have’ skills

If there are any additional skills you’d like candidates to have but aren’t essential to actually doing the job/you’d be able to train someone who didn’t have this skill - add that here. Or perhaps there’s going to be opportunity for on-the-job training? If so, consider including that here.

How to apply

This will vary depending on how you advertise the job. If you’re planning to post the description somewhere else let candidates know how to apply: do you want them to provide a CV and cover letter or just a CV? Should they be emailed/mailed? Is there a deadline for applications? When will you be conducting interviews? Include your contact information or a link for applications. If you’re posting the job on a recruiting website the next steps will be pretty obvious (e.g. ‘Click here to apply’).

Additional resources!

📈

And now over to you! Have you written a job description in the past? What worked? What didn’t work? Or perhaps simply putting a sign in your store window was effective? Maybe you advertised locally or online? How? We’d love to hear your experience!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks so much for putting this together, @Helen!

We're diving into hiring for the season now, and I just started putting together Job Descriptions. This is a huge help to guide me along the way, with some great tips I'm working on incorporating right now!

Thanks again!!

Pesso

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 2 of 7
Admin

Of course! I'm glad to hear it'll help. 

I'm sure you'll have a few tips of your own too and we'd love if you (and anyone else) have time to share - but I appreciate you are busy! 🙂

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 3 of 7
Super Seller Alumni

We do most of our hiring through a simple "We're Hiring" Sign, a simple page on our website (www.pessosices.com/jobs), and mostly word of mouth. 

Because of that, I'm fairly new to the whole Job Description thing, so I don't have too many tips on that front - but a lot of other hiring experience that I'd be more than happy to share some tips about!

1. Set Expectations:

Figure out what you need out of a new employee, whether it's time commitment, duties to complete, or other requirments. Make sure to communicate all of that up front, and be clear and explicit with setting these expectations.

2. Don't Settle:

You may be in a rush and feel desperate for new employees, but don't give into the temptation to hire the first people that apply. Don't settle for just anyone. Your employees dictate your company's internal culture and how your customers see your brand. Find the right people, and be extremely picky with your new hires.

And more to come!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 4 of 7
Admin

Thank you! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 5 of 7

Thank you. This is my first time hiring so the information  was very helpful. 

Message 6 of 7
Admin

@sdrcutrell Glad this resource and Pesso's tips were helpful. Are you planning to advertise online or from your business? We'd love to hear how it all goes!

I hope you're keeping well. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 7 of 7