x

How To Verify Card Is Valid?

We have been using Square for about 15 months, and only on a computer in the office. So far we average about 1-2 credit card transactions per week and everything has gone very smoothly. But we expect to do much more credit card business now because of the virus problem; we are now discouraging checks or cash, and we are trying to convert as much business as possible to credit cards.

On average, our services are performed 3 or 4 days AFTER the customer has placed the order, sometimes a week or more. We are given credit card information at the time the customer calls and orders service, but we do not run the credit card transaction until the day AFTER we have provided service. The reason for the delay is that we don't know the services were actually performed until the drivers check in at the end of the day, and by that time the office is already closed until the next morning. 

It has not happened yet, but eventually we are certain to have a credit card transaction declined AFTER we have already provided service.

So my question is this: how can we verify the validity of the credit card information that we are given at the time of the order? We would like to be able to do a "test" transaction of the credit card number, expiration date, the security code and zip code at the time the customer orders service. Is that possible?

Here's a real-life example of why this is important: we got an order today, and the client gave us his credit card information. But he had trouble reading the code on the back of the card. Assuming the client is honest and all the other info he gave us was correct, the transaction will still be declined if we do not have the correct code.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Alumni

@BerksSeptic Thanks for reaching out and thanks for the detailed posts

We don't have a feature that allows sellers to make a test payment to check the validity of a card before it's ran. However, we encourage all sellers to practice their best judgment when accepting over the phone payments. Take these steps to minimize the risk of payment disputes and fraud 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 5

Good luck. Square doesn't care about these issues. All you have to do is read their responses and see their actions for a number of years. People who use their appointment service have been begging and asking about protection for as far back as you can read on Seller Community. I'd suggest, for your type of business, to make them pre-pay, which is an option, and then adjust afterwards. For me, it would be helpful if Square allowed to do a partial, like a percentage of services, pre-pay (what I would charge for a no-show), so if crappy clients (which I've had two this week) do me dirty, I'm protected. It makes it crappy to make honest clients fully pre-pay for my type of services. Why can't Square make that option? Because they don't GAF about small businesses losing money.

Message 3 of 5
Admin

Really sorry you feel this way @Leequa. As you can probably imagine, we receive tons and tons of feature requests daily in the Seller Community. Our team does their best to prioritize each one. Our products are always evolving and we never say "never" when it comes to change. We'll continue to pass along feedback as we receive it because we do care about creating and enhancing products that everyone can use.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 5

I could bet you a good amount of money, that seller protection is at the top of the list. Adding the feature to allow us to collect the no-show fee upfront would save us a lot of headaches and help us not to lose so much money. This needs to be addressed with action.

Message 5 of 5