x

How can I make sure my sales tax is applied?

I donate and sell gift certificates and comp some. I should be paying sales tax on these but I can't seem to get the sales tax (4%) on the sale when the recipient of the gift certificates comes in to redeem it.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller Alumni

@ger1234, when the person comes in to redeem them are they buying a taxable item? If they buy a taxable item from you the tax will be rung up as normal.

Message 2 of 6

I do not tax the gift certificate buyer.  I would like to tax the gift certificate redeemer.

Message 3 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hi @ger1234

You should be able to apply sales tax to the person redeeming their gift card for a purchase as normal. 

Double check your tax settings within the app and make sure that the tax you've created is applied to those items. You can also choose to make the tax applicable to all items. 

Message 4 of 6

Thank you for your response.  I am having no problem with it charging the tax my problem is on my transaction report the tax section does not include the tax.  Even tho it was a gift certifcate I have to include tax because products was sold.  Am I looking at this the wrong way?

Message 5 of 6
Square Community Moderator

I'm a bit confused as to what it is you're trying to do. 

Just to clarify, you're able to apply sales tax to sale correctly, however you're not seeing the sales tax appear in the tax section of your sales reports? 

Is this what's happening? 

Message 6 of 6