x

How can a customer leave comments on an online order?

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Message 2 of 30
Square Community Moderator

Hi @AlexNorth!

I merged your two Community posts together since they're the same question.

There should be a field when the customer is checking out where they can leave a detailed note for the seller on there already.

Are your customers not seeing that option at checkout?

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 30

Correct, customers are not seeing this. 

Message 4 of 30

Thanks for clarifying this, @AlexNorth. So sorry for the trouble here.

Would you be able to grab some screenshots of what your customers are seeing? This would go a long way in helping us diagnose the issue.

Also, for more expedited help, our Support Team is standing by. We want to make sure this gets resolved for you quickly - so let me know if you end up contacting our Team by phone.

Joe
Message 5 of 30

It seems obvious that there should be a comments section to customize an order -- i.e. allergens, how they want burger done, etc...without having to add a modifier for every possibility.

Message 6 of 30
Super Seller

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Product-Updates/Square-Online-Store-release-notes-week-of-5-4-202...

Check out this post and it will tell you how to set up an open modifier box for the online store only.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 7 of 30
Alumni

@Donnie-M - thanks for lending a hand  🙌  @cafeeighteen Let us know if this works for you! 

Justin
Message 8 of 30

What happened to the comment section when you check out online??

Message 9 of 30
Alumni

What kind of item are you selling, @UpstateNutritio?
Is it a checkout link, or an item directly on your Square Online website?
If you're able to share a link with us here, that would be super helpful - thanks!

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 🎉

Valentina
Message 10 of 30

Here is my website www.upstatenutrition518.com we sell items on the website. 

Message 11 of 30
Alumni

I think I know what you're looking for, but there are two things you may be referring to.
Let's take a look at both! 

I think you want the note section that appears at the end of checkout. If so, you'll start by heading to your Square Online Dashboard > Settings > Checkout > click the Advanced settings button:

Scroll to the Checkout options section - make sure the Allow customer to leave a note to seller box is checked:

If this isn't what you're asking about, maybe you're looking for the text box modifier?

If so, you can find this by editing an existing item, or during item creation.

Square Online Dashboard > Items > Item Library > select/create an item > scroll to the Modifiers section

Click + Create new when you scroll to this section to get this pop-up:

This will add a field to your item page so that customers can leave notes on their items when ordering! 

I hope this helped, @UpstateNutritio - let me know if this didn't get you where you need to be 🙌

Valentina
Message 12 of 30

Thank you...I followed your directions for the first option as that is what I was referring to. The option for leaving comment at checkout was already checked. So I unchecked and then checked it again.  No change. Still not seeing the comment section at checkout. 

Message 13 of 30
Super Seller

@UpstateNutritio When you go to check out you have to go to the last step before submit to see the comment box.  It goes I believe Cart ---> Personal Info----->Pickup ----> Payment/Coupon Code ---->Final Confirmation and Submit

It is that last section that should have a check box to save information and a comment box.  So you may have to put in a CC info or make a 100% coupon code and try that to get to that last section.

Hope this helps,

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 14 of 30

Thanks for stepping in here to help, @Donnie-M 🙏

Joe
Message 15 of 30

Thanks for the quick response...went all the way to the end and added credit card and completed transaction and there was never a comment box. 

Message 16 of 30
Super Seller

@UpstateNutritio Just want to make sure we are on the same page.  Your website doesn't happen to be your name plus 518?  Here is what it should look like..I went to this website and got this far and the comment box is there:

2021-04-13.png

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

MustHaveMenus
Message 17 of 30

Yes that is my website with the 518...I get to the same point as you and I don’t have a comment box and mine looks a little bit different. I am doing it on my phone. Would that make any difference? Most people are doing the orders on their phone and it was showing up previously.

Message 18 of 30

I just tried it on the iPad and I get the comment section like you did. But what has changed when you do it on your phone? before the comment section was always there and now it’s not and most of our customers are going to order on their phones not on an iPad or computer. 

Message 19 of 30
Alumni

Thanks for all of the help here, @Donnie-M!

@UpstateNutritio - what kind of item did you try to purchase when you didn't see the comment box?

Valentina
Message 20 of 30

I have tried different items. It doesn’t work for anything. Only looks like it works on the iPad or computer. Not on the phone. 

Message 21 of 30