x

How can he do a chargeback a second time after it has already been decided in my favor 3 months ago

A customer tried to dispute several charges that were all towards the same job, which were only half of the actual charges for the job, out of the several charges disputed, equals out to almost $10,000. The dispute was decided in my favor after 3 weeks, it still took another two months before square wood released my money. That was two months ago that I received all my funds. Now 3 months after the cases were decided in my favor, I just got notification that the same previous disputed charges are being disputed a second time. Square customer support previously told me that since the cases were decided in my favor, because I had more than enough official documentation as to what the charges were for and that the customer approve them and such, that this customer would not be able to dispute the charges a second time. They told me that three months ago. Now my account just got debited $10,000 almost!! How is it that a customer can dispute something a second time, almost six months after the original transaction. All this work was for insurance work done on a boat. It was for a $25,000 job. About $15,000 was materials. $10,000 was Labor. That customer had received and approved the $25,000 estimate. He also received a $24,000 check from the insurance company. Now his boat is for sale at a Brokers lot. He thinks he can not pay $10,000 and also keep the insurance money and also sell the boat I guess... The credit card company should not allow him to do this to a business. Thanks for any info anyone might have

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square

Thanks for reaching out! It is definitely frustrating to receive a re-dispute, and to have funds held once more during the extended resolution period. 

The rights of a cardholder to initiate a payment dispute are established and upheld by the cardholder’s bank. The timeframe(s) to dispute a charge vary from bank to bank and can range from 6-12 months from the date of the payment or the date the services were to be rendered. Please note, the timeframe that a cardholder has to dispute a charge is decided by the issuing bank.

Your customer has re-disputed this chargeback with their card-issuing bank, which has re-opened the case.

In order for there to be a re-dispute the bank must first preliminarily resolve the dispute in your favor, at which point they allow their card member (your customer) the opportunity to appeal this decision since the case was not decided in their favor. In this case, this was past the typical timeline for resolution (60-90 days). 

Please note that when there is a re-dispute, the transaction amount is held in your Square account until the dispute is resolved again. They are held in your Square balance until the customer’s bank resolves the dispute. If the customer’s bank resolves the dispute in our favor, the funds will be released back into your Square account immediately. If the customer’s bank resolves the dispute in favor of the customer, the funds will have to be returned to your customer. 

One of our agents, Juliet, will reach out to you directly to provide account-specific and issuer-speific information as you move forward in this process. We want to make sure we assist you in building the strongest case possible as they bank reviews this case again. 

Message 2 of 3

6 to 12 months!  That is a long time.  I hope this was resolved in your favor because that is a LOT of money.  I don't feel so bad about my customer's $500 dispute!  Have you considered suing that customer for lost funds, mental suffering, etc.?

Message 3 of 3