x

How do I delete a sale after a card is declined?

I am using the Square app version 4.77 for my iPhone and iPad. When a card declines the charge amount displayed in the upper area of the iPhone and iPad screen remains displayed. Is there a way to cancel the transaction and charge to get rid of the displayed dollar amount?  Today I had this happen - I had to call my client on the phone to discuss the decline.  I had to do a force close of the app to remove the dollar amount.

Also can you tell me how long the battery in the "Square Reader + chip cards" (not the contactless reader) will remain charged after a full charge?

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for your post @BillArtman!

I'm including the steps to clear the transaction from the app below. You can do this any time you want to completely clear the amount (and items) you were going to charge your customer. 

1. Open the Square app and tap Current Sale at the top of the screen:

2. Tap the arrow icon in the upper right:

3. Then tap Clear Items. Select this even if you manually entered the amount to charge:

4. After you've tapped Clear Items the Charge button will return to $0.00. You'll also see No Sale at the top of your screen and you can enter a new charge. 

If this isn't what you were looking for let me know! 

And to answer your second question, the battery for Square Reader for Chip Cards should last for 24 hours. It takes about 3 hours for that reader to be fully charged. We recommend charging this reader every night and removing it from your device when you're not using it to conserve the battery! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for your post @BillArtman!

I'm including the steps to clear the transaction from the app below. You can do this any time you want to completely clear the amount (and items) you were going to charge your customer. 

1. Open the Square app and tap Current Sale at the top of the screen:

2. Tap the arrow icon in the upper right:

3. Then tap Clear Items. Select this even if you manually entered the amount to charge:

4. After you've tapped Clear Items the Charge button will return to $0.00. You'll also see No Sale at the top of your screen and you can enter a new charge. 

If this isn't what you were looking for let me know! 

And to answer your second question, the battery for Square Reader for Chip Cards should last for 24 hours. It takes about 3 hours for that reader to be fully charged. We recommend charging this reader every night and removing it from your device when you're not using it to conserve the battery! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 9

Helen, thanks very much for your reply.  Yes, you answered my questions perfectly!  Have a great week!

Bill

Message 3 of 9

Is there a way beyond this to delete a customer from a sale?  If I follow these steps to clear the amount of the sale, my app still lists the customer's name above the blue "charge $0.00" button and I am unable to delete it so that I can charge a different customer.  I see customers regularly and keep their cards on file, so I sometimes have to contact a person when their card is declined and charge the next customer before I get updated payment information for the initial transaction.  I seem to have to close the Square app entirely to do this.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @tmihal! Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community! We are happy to have you.

We can definitely help you get this solved! One quick clarification - what kind of mobile device are you using to run the Square App? I ask because the iPhone iOS software for our app can orient itself differently than an Android.

I will keep an eye out for your response!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 9

Using an iPhone 10.  Thanks for your response.

Message 6 of 9

Thanks for the response, @tmihal! Sorry for the confusion on this one.

I just tested out adding a customer to a sale on my iPhone. Its a bit cumbersome, but you can remove the customer by clicking the name up top. There should be a drop down arrow on the right side of the name, click that dropdown and select View Customer. Once the view window opens, there is an option Remove in blue. 

Let me know if that gets you where you need to be! 

Joe
Message 7 of 9

Thanks, for clarification to your instructions, rather than "Remove" it  says "Remove Customer from sale" ... 

I spent 30 minutes trying to figure this out.... I never would have got it without your help. Thanks!

Message 8 of 9

No problem, @NatSafe! Let us know if anything comes up. We are here to help!

Joe
Message 9 of 9