x

How do I delete an invoice if it's been accidentally created AND marked as PAID?

Hi

I had a customer buy a large quantity of items. They wanted to pay online so I created an invoice on my laptop using Square. I had their credit card info and tried to charge card by adding it as 'card on file'. Their card failed, so i emailed them the invoice. It didn't work for them that way, either. Later that day, they came into our business and the staff (unknowingly) re-created the exact list of products they purchased on our point-of-sale till and charged their card on the spot. 

The next day, wanting to clear things up, I looked at the list of invoices and marked that customer's invoice as 'Paid'. I then realized that would mean my books would now show TWICE the amount was sold & paid as had actually been. I need to delete the invoice that was marked as paid because they already paid at the till the day before. 

How do I delete that invoice that I marked as paid without refunding all of that money to the customer? 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Admin

@CanmoreBrewing At this time there isn't a way to delete an invoice.

Do you recall if you recorded the payment as completed on the Square Point of Sale? You might not have noticed the screen below at the time - but when you record an invoice as paid this way the sale is not recorded twice and you don't need to refund it. 

However, if you recorded that the invoice was paid in Cash or by Check you can refund the invoice and no money will actually be refunded to your customer. Square doesn't handle any cash/checks for you so it's expected you'll give the customer cash/refund them outside of Square.

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 2