x

How do I disable develop options in order for the Square chip reader to work?

When I went to use my Square reader at the market yesterday this error kept appearing: Please disable developer options on order for the square chip reader to work. I am unaware of how to disable this option. Thank You for your response in advance.

Message 1 of 47
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Glo99! It sounds like this error is coming from your device and not the Point of Sale app or reader. This means you can disable the developer options from the Settings section of your device! 

Please follow the steps below:

1. Navigate to Settings > Developer Options on your device.
  2. Toggle Developer Options off.

If you canโ€™t see the Developer Options menu:

1. Tap About Device.
  2. Tap Build Number 7 times.
  3. You'll see a prompt on the screen indicating developer options are enabled.
  4. Tap the back arrow to navigate back to Settings.
  5. Tap Developer Options > Toggle Developer Options off.
  6. This will disable Developer Options on your device.

From there please open the Square Point of Sale app and try to connect your reader again. 

Let me know if you're still having trouble. Happy to help! 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

Hi Helen,

I can't find the Developer Options under settings and when I go to activate them, I get a prompt saying they have been activated again.

Samsung Galaxy S7, Android 8.0

Please help as I'm losing business not being able to operate my square...

Thank you kindly,

Message 22 of 47

Hello,

i don't use samsung phone,

but normally dev options are activated after pressing about 7 times on the number build version of Android in settings.

If it says dev options are already activated, it is in bottom of screen.

I found this topic that could maybe help you: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62694011/unable-to-activate-developer-options-on-my-android-phon...

regards,

Jyloup

Message 23 of 47
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @Guohong,

Sorry to hear the steps we have provided aren't helpful in your case. For this, you will need to reach out to your phone provider directly for further assistance with your device settings.

In looking briefly for these steps via Huawei's Support Page we found an article with similar steps for enabling developer options to the ones we have shared in this thread. In some cases, you will need to enable this option to locate it in your device settings.

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 24 of 47

The problem is likely because "Developer Options" are enabled on your Android phone. Go to the phone's settings. Tap on the magnifying glass in the top right corner and search for "Developer Options". Your phone should respond with "{ } Developer options". Tap on that option and it should tell you if Developer options are on or off. If they are ON, then tap the slider button on the right hand side. This should change this setting to "Off".

Go back to your Square app and if your Contactless reader is still in the "Failed" condition, tap on the option to "Forget" the reader and then go through the steps to "Connect" or "Pair" the reader again.

Hope this works for you as it worked for me.

Ken

Message 25 of 47

I made sure the developer options were toggled off in the phone settings, tapped "forget this reader" , tried again. Same result. Pop-up screen says "developer options not supported" and the connection fails. 

Message 26 of 47
Admin

@Serge88 Thanks for running through these steps. I recommend making sure that your Android device is compatible with Square using the Square Compatibility website. If your device is compatible go ahead and call our CS team who can investigate this further.

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 27 of 47

Hi there. I'm having the same issue. What was your resolution? Brent

Message 28 of 47

Any solution to this yet? I keep getting the 'developers' error.  I talked to square they said it must be my phone having the issue. I called hauwai (p20 pro) they couldn't solve my problem either. They said maybe try a full factory reset. Not sure in prepared to do that. Anyone else figured it out? Thx

Message 29 of 47

Hi there. I gave up on my Huawei and got a cheap Lenova tablet that I've connected to my 4G wifi modem which works a treat. I had no support from Huawei or anything tangible from Square for that matter. What I think was going on was the Huawei HiSuite app using the developer featue even though it appeared to be disabled.

Message 30 of 47

Well that's discouraging, but thanks for the info. I'll see if I can dig out an old phone or something. I may have something lying around. Thx 

Message 31 of 47

I've been having the same issue with P20 lite. I just revoked hisuite permissions and it has finally connected. 

Search for hisuite in settings and switch off "allow hisuite to use HBD"

Hope others with this device can now use it. Huawei and square couldn't seem to find the issue. 

Message 32 of 47

@Pinewynd hope this helps

Message 33 of 47

I had this problem with my p20 Pro and this worked straight away, Thanks so much!

Message 34 of 47

Hi, I had to turn off the 'developer options' to make it work. Making the Square app inactive didn't work as it just turned itself back on as soon as I left the setting window. I haven't tried using my square with the developer options back on yet, but if I need to, will leave it off when I use it.

Message 35 of 47

Hi  there thank you so much it worked for me ur my saver ..thank you so much again 

Message 36 of 47

Best answer regarding Developer Options problems. After reading and scrolling theough all the thread this was exactly what the problem was Thank youKVMcG

Message 37 of 47

I just received my recently purchased Square Reader from Amazon Canada and was extremely happy while creating my profile and unboxing the device. After reading the manual I've installed the latest app version of Square and attempted to pair the device with my Huawei P20 Pro phone (latest EMUI 9.1.0 365). The pairing process started, I saw the 4 amber lights blinking and then I got a message stating that my phone developer options have been turned on and the pairing process has failed.

I went to my phone settings and disabled the developer options (they are not visible within the setting's menu) and then restarted the app (as per booklet instructions). To my big surprise the pair process is still failing with the same error.

I decided to re-enable and disable again the developer options making sure that even any option inside the developer's menu has been turned off. Restarted the app โ€” same error.

Tried to remove the application thinking that it might have had a glitch and to prevent the pairing process while my DO were enabled earlier โ€” same error.

Anything I have tried did not allow me to pair my Huawei P20 Pro with the Square Contact less Reader. Several reboots of the phone as well โ€” nothing. Both the phone and the reader are fully charged and I even attempted to remove the case to eliminate any chance of poor device connectivity โ€” nothing again.

For a short while after a few attempts to run the app, I saw a menu offering an update to the square and it went all the way up to 100%, however I am still unable to use the device and if I can't make it to work with my phone, I will have to return it and find some other respectful service that would work for my needs and most important โ€” would have an easy setup...

Message 38 of 47
Alumni

๐Ÿ‘‹@MilenKo

This thread I've moved you to might help! Let me know if you're still having trouble. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 39 of 47

I encountered the same message after a failure to connect to the reader.
After exhausting the troubleshooting guide and a session with support, I decided to try a full reset of the Android software and the Reader.

Confirmed in Android Setting that Developer was was not enabled and reinstalled the Point of Sale application. The connection proceeded as expected.

Message 40 of 47

Doesn't work. Turned off developer options, reboot, reinstall, still complains about developer options.

Worst thing is you make me re-pair the reader from scratch, restart the app, which takes a full minute each time. I've wasted half an hour trying this already.

It's obviously a big problem with many threads of the same issue, even from people with fresh new androids.

I remember why I stopped using this app on my old phones 4 years ago now. Because you could never start it. That was before I bought the reader even.

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Questions-How-to/quot-Developer-Options-Not-Supported-quot-Error-...

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Questions-How-to/How-do-I-disable-developer-options-in-order-for-...

Message 41 of 47

Also make sure you don't have HiSuite installed.

Message 42 of 47