x

How do I disable develop options in order for the Square chip reader to work?

When I went to use my Square reader at the market yesterday this error kept appearing: Please disable developer options on order for the square chip reader to work. I am unaware of how to disable this option. Thank You for your response in advance.

Message 1 of 47
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Glo99! It sounds like this error is coming from your device and not the Point of Sale app or reader. This means you can disable the developer options from the Settings section of your device! 

Please follow the steps below:

1. Navigate to Settings > Developer Options on your device.
  2. Toggle Developer Options off.

If you canโ€™t see the Developer Options menu:

1. Tap About Device.
  2. Tap Build Number 7 times.
  3. You'll see a prompt on the screen indicating developer options are enabled.
  4. Tap the back arrow to navigate back to Settings.
  5. Tap Developer Options > Toggle Developer Options off.
  6. This will disable Developer Options on your device.

From there please open the Square Point of Sale app and try to connect your reader again. 

Let me know if you're still having trouble. Happy to help! 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

Never heard of that

I use an LG, well I've used G3 to G7

A nexus, a samsung.

Message 43 of 47

Sorry. Thought you were using an Huawei. HiSuite is the app it uses to communicate with a Mac or PC and can cause issues when trying to pair with Square. Are you using any LG propriety software to communicate (for backups, downloading images etc.) with a Mac or PC?

Message 44 of 47

The LG phone comes with its stuff you can't delete. But I don't use it. It's not under my control either.

I also have a lenovo tablet I tried to pair. It has a custom rom, came with the same complaint about dev ops even though it is disabled.

Message 45 of 47

I don't have any experience with LG phones however I have a Lenovo tablet in my shop that paired with my square reader straight out of the box with nothing else running on it.

Message 46 of 47

Tha's the problem. Seems like you have to buy a dedicated android device that can't be used for anything else in order to use this little square chip reader dongle device.

No wonder they sell the Square Terminal. Can hardly do anything else.

Message 47 of 47