x

How do I do instore afterpay purchases using square as my POS or online store?

We are using square for our POS system.

We are using afterpay in AUS - how can i attach a scanner for the barcode they give the customers? 

Message 1 of 27
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

EDIT 02/08/2021: Square has just announced plans to acquire Afterpay. While we don't have integration timelines to share at the moment, read our update for more!

-------

EDIT: While no official integration exists, some sellers have reported Afterpay have a workaround they can apply on their end that will allow Afterpay Mastercard to be used with Square Readers via tap. Get in touch with Afterpay support for more help here! Note that no solution currently exists for online payments.

-------

Hey @SpokeNTrail,

Thanks for reaching out!

At the moment AfterPay accounts and hardware will not integrate with Square's POS app - you'll need to use the AfterPay app for scanning an AfterPay barcode.

If you wish to manually track these transactions via Square, you can use the "other" payment type on our point of sale to track that a payment has taken place outside Square's system - this won't process anything via AfterPay for you though, it's for record keeping purposes only (in the same way you can track physical cash payments via Square). For more on tracking payments made outside Square's card processing facilities, see https://squareup.com/help/au/en/article/5177-accept-cash-cheques-and-other-tender.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Admin

Hi @AinsleyXLR8,

Thanks for reaching out!

At the moment Square does not integrate with Afterpay - if you wish to record these sales in your square POS for tracking purposes you can currently do so by processing it as an "other" payment type at point of sale.

All the best!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 2 of 27

So it can be done it just isnโ€™t a named/formalized option? 

Message 3 of 27
Admin

Hey @Savant,

AfterPay doesn't link with Square in any capacity, so by using this option you'd simply be making a record that a payment has taken place via "other" means. The "other" option can be used to record any payment outside of Square's system that you'd like.

Mainly it's used by merchants to track sales make with 3rd party EFTPOS terminals, sometimes it's used for AfterPay, you could theoretically use it to track any sort of external payment. 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 4 of 27

Did you get an answer to this?

Message 5 of 27
Admin

Best Answer

EDIT 02/08/2021: Square has just announced plans to acquire Afterpay. While we don't have integration timelines to share at the moment, read our update for more!

-------

EDIT: While no official integration exists, some sellers have reported Afterpay have a workaround they can apply on their end that will allow Afterpay Mastercard to be used with Square Readers via tap. Get in touch with Afterpay support for more help here! Note that no solution currently exists for online payments.

-------

Hey @SpokeNTrail,

Thanks for reaching out!

At the moment AfterPay accounts and hardware will not integrate with Square's POS app - you'll need to use the AfterPay app for scanning an AfterPay barcode.

If you wish to manually track these transactions via Square, you can use the "other" payment type on our point of sale to track that a payment has taken place outside Square's system - this won't process anything via AfterPay for you though, it's for record keeping purposes only (in the same way you can track physical cash payments via Square). For more on tracking payments made outside Square's card processing facilities, see https://squareup.com/help/au/en/article/5177-accept-cash-cheques-and-other-tender.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 6 of 27

When will Afterpay be available itโ€™s been months!!!!๐Ÿ˜ค

Message 7 of 27
Admin

Hey @SaltyBae,

Square's planned acquisition of Afterpay is due to settle in the first quarter of 2022. Once this happens we look forward to integrating Afterpay across our ecosystem!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 8 of 27

Has anyone successfully connected Afterpay or Zip to their Square system?

Message 9 of 27
Admin

Hey @Steak-Out,

I've moved your post to to this thread for tracking purposes - at the moment unfortunately there's no way to integrate 3rd party buy now/pay later systems to Square.

We're tracking feedback, but at the moment I don't have an ETA on if or when - sorry I couldn't be of more help here!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 10 of 27

Thanks Seamus, I believe we can add afterpay and zip, however currently they wonโ€™t show in the transaction summaries. Is that correct?

Message 11 of 27

Apologies just saw the thread you added this to Seamus. Thank you 

Message 12 of 27
Beta Member

Any update if AfterPay or Zip Pay will be integrated with Square?

Message 13 of 27

Yes it seems like a huge delay that something that isnโ€™t difficult to add programming wise. 

Message 14 of 27
Admin

No updates at the moment @MJK007 and @Steak-Out.

As soon as I hear of any news I'm able to share on this, you can bet that the first thing I do will be to tag everyone in this thread! 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 15 of 27
Beta Member

As square doesnโ€™t make any fees from it I doubt they will be in a hurry to resolve it. They will want you to tell the customer to use credit card instead...

Message 16 of 27

Following

Message 17 of 27

Following as well

Message 18 of 27
Super Seller

Hi all,

Has anyone got this working yet? Afterpay have now 'onboarded' us through a very bizarre process (lots of marketing material, but no actual meat in how it actually works - ie what happens with the fees!?).

Anyway, we thought it was all up and running until a few customers tried to pay using Afterpay Card with NFC and Square Reader. All declined. We then randomly get an email from Afterpay saying we're now ready to 'complete' the onboarding process and had to manually run a dummy decline payment through (where the amount entered into Square was our merchant ID). We did this, submitted the info to Afterpay and then they confirmed we were good to go.

We haven't had another Afterpay customer since so not sure if its actually working, I've seen a few comments around the place from other sellers saying they can't get it working either despite Afterpay saying it will work on Square Readers โ€” their comms have been a disgrace in all honesty, just no detail for merchants in the actual nuts and bolts. 

Proud Australian Square Super Seller and users of Square Appointments โ€ข Square POS โ€ข Square Online โ€ข Square Reader โ€ข Square Stand

We use Square with integrations for Xero by Amaka โ€ข Printful / We have used Squarespace โ€ข Shopify โ€ข WooCommerce โ€ข QuickBooks and more!

Dieter Slicke is a boutique barber shop by appointment only with our own range of Australian made hair and skin care products
Message 19 of 27
Super Seller

Hi all,

Further to my post yesterday, Iโ€™ve since found out from our friends who also use Square + Afterpay that Afterpay Card is working for them with Square Reader now.

But get this for a catch. Afterpay is charging their usual % fee, but on top of Square also charging their fee. Based on my experience in this forum, Square had no idea Afterpay was even going to support regular card payments (I posted about it a few months ago when we heard it from Afterpay). So their fee is being charged purely because the service recognises it as a Visa or whatever, but Afterpay is actually still stinging you with their full fee. So itโ€™s Afterpay % + Square %. That is a very costly sale in our eyes.

This small convenience is coming with a huge cost to businesses. And it wonโ€™t just be Square sellers being hit with this double fee, it will be happening with all the payment processors I reckon. No wonder Afterpay wouldnโ€™t give any information around how this functioned for merchants, which is all I wanted to know when they announced it - my main concern was how do the fees work because it didnโ€™t make sense to me that they could just piggy back off everyone elseโ€™s infrastructure without consulting the processors and us as sellers not feel that cost. I find this quite deceitful and considering Afterpay is already extremely expensive for merchants, it makes us not want to use it at all.

For now weโ€™ve decided we wonโ€™t be accepting Afterpay Card and instead will resort back to the merchant portal with manual barcode. We donโ€™t use it enough for this to be annoying, but the convenience is just too expensive for us. 

Weโ€™re really hanging out for PayPal Pay in 4 which is being promoted as costing the same to merchants as PayPalโ€™s existing 2.2% fee, plus it should work within all of their existing infrastructure, and I believe it will also have a card function. Even if they do what Afterpay and Zip has done with the card support, and the fee is PayPal + Square, this will still be half of what the Afterpay Card + Square combo is costing us.

Food for thought for others still trying to get this functionality to work / wanting more Afterpay integration. Iโ€™m sure in bigger businesses this might just be a cost to doing business, but for us as a small business, this is a big expense we canโ€™t justify.

Proud Australian Square Super Seller and users of Square Appointments โ€ข Square POS โ€ข Square Online โ€ข Square Reader โ€ข Square Stand

We use Square with integrations for Xero by Amaka โ€ข Printful / We have used Squarespace โ€ข Shopify โ€ข WooCommerce โ€ข QuickBooks and more!

Dieter Slicke is a boutique barber shop by appointment only with our own range of Australian made hair and skin care products
Message 20 of 27

Hi can you help me? I"ve tried testing my Afterpay Card from my iPhone on my Square Eftpos machine and it isn't reading it. Please help as I have a client this week coming wanting to pay via Afterpay.

Message 21 of 27