x

How do I do instore afterpay purchases using square as my POS or online store?

We are using square for our POS system.

We are using afterpay in AUS - how can i attach a scanner for the barcode they give the customers? 

Message 1 of 27
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

EDIT 02/08/2021: Square has just announced plans to acquire Afterpay. While we don't have integration timelines to share at the moment, read our update for more!

-------

EDIT: While no official integration exists, some sellers have reported Afterpay have a workaround they can apply on their end that will allow Afterpay Mastercard to be used with Square Readers via tap. Get in touch with Afterpay support for more help here! Note that no solution currently exists for online payments.

-------

Hey @SpokeNTrail,

Thanks for reaching out!

At the moment AfterPay accounts and hardware will not integrate with Square's POS app - you'll need to use the AfterPay app for scanning an AfterPay barcode.

If you wish to manually track these transactions via Square, you can use the "other" payment type on our point of sale to track that a payment has taken place outside Square's system - this won't process anything via AfterPay for you though, it's for record keeping purposes only (in the same way you can track physical cash payments via Square). For more on tracking payments made outside Square's card processing facilities, see https://squareup.com/help/au/en/article/5177-accept-cash-cheques-and-other-tender.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Square Community Moderator

Hey @m1ssJeuels,

Thanks for writing in! I noticed it's your first post, welcome to our community ๐Ÿ‘‹  

Have you been in touch with Afterpay support already? They would have be able to provide the instructions, and enable this from their end, to get Afterpay card working with Square card readers. Unfortunately, this isn't something we can do from our end. Please let us know how you go! 

Message 22 of 27

I just try to conduct another transaction right now and it decline, so is not working still...

Message 23 of 27
Admin

Hey @luanart,

Thanks for reaching out.

Yep, there's still no official integration between Square and Afterpay unfortunately.

Sellers who have got Square Readers working with Afterpay card have done so by getting in touch with Afterpay, who seem to do some test transactions that will decline, then they activate it from their side by adding some information to your Afterpay merchant account, based on the declined test transaction. 

It's a workaround on the Afterpay end, I'm not sure if there will be an official integration between Square and Afterpay in the future - but if I hear of anything I'll check back here!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 24 of 27
Beta Member

Hi I am fuming as a couple of weeks ago I could take instore afterpay payments, today I complete a job and Afterpay is disabled for this merchant pops up. What the hell! no notification, nothing! 

Message 25 of 27
Beta Member

LOL I was not eligible for that so Square said.

So I contacted the same person at afterpay who set up my Merchant account month ago

and guess what? took just 10 minutes and I had Afterpay on my Terminal.So I wont be needing SQUARE at all not.Afterpay online on my wixpage if someone wants to pay online  and I got myself another Scanner  and voila now Have tap and go

Message 26 of 27
Beta Member

I am fuming as a couple of weeks ago I could take instore afterpay payments, today I complete a job and Afterpay is disabled for this merchant pops up. What the hell! no notification, nothing! 

Message 27 of 27