x

How do I edit the "Item" in a receipt post credit card payment?

How do I edit the "Item" in a receipt post credit card payment?

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

HI there, @massagecentral 👋 Welcome here to the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us here.

Currently, Square does not offer a way to edit the items on a receipt once the transaction has been completed. 

If you are needing to swap or edit an item, we would suggest refunding the specific item on the original transaction, and then re-processing a payment for the correct item. All of these changes would then reflect correctly on your customers receipt.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Best Answer

HI there, @massagecentral 👋 Welcome here to the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us here.

Currently, Square does not offer a way to edit the items on a receipt once the transaction has been completed. 

If you are needing to swap or edit an item, we would suggest refunding the specific item on the original transaction, and then re-processing a payment for the correct item. All of these changes would then reflect correctly on your customers receipt.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Joe
Message 2 of 7

Duplicating invoices to edit is terrible. Then the new invoice is unpaid and then has to be marked paid and it adds to the sales as new income for the day which skews actual sales. We may have to use a new invoice system because there are a lot of times when a customer wants to add writing to the cake or change a color or move the pick up date and it creates a huge mess to duplicate and cancel invoices all the time. Then we have to pull old invoices from the book before adding the new ones and it’s getting sloppy. We REALLY REALLY need the option to edit after payment. 

Message 3 of 7

Hi @Rcajdg,

I certainly understand your business need to edit the invoice after the payment is complete. At this time it is a feature request. 

Square does not support this at the moment because manipulating transactions can cause issues with reporting. Once we have a resolution to that issue this feature is more likely to be implemented into the point of sale software.

You can checkout more information on feature requests here .

In the meantime, keep an eye out for any updates, here, in our Seller Community. I appreciate your input again!

Message 4 of 7

I just think it’s really unnecessary for Square to police a private business for fraud, etc. Our purposes for needing to change invoices are 1000% valid and if a business does anything shady to manipulate anything, that would be up to the FTC, IRS or whatever government agencies handle fraud issues. I can understand limiting being able to change the dollar value on an invoice, but not details or dates for delivery/pick up. This issue is severely impacting our ordering system and we are considering other POS systems at the moment that better suit our invoicing needs. 

Message 5 of 7

I added items from my inventory to invoices for my customers. I added "FS" to the item description to indicate it was a final sale and I think because of that, it didn't tie it back to the original inventory item. Is there a way to correct that on completed invoices so that I can still track margin and inventory numbers? 

Message 6 of 7

Hey @thisandthatsc and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to a thread where this question has been answered already.

Check out the Best Answer above for details. 

We don't offer a way to edit or backdate transactions at this time. They have to be re-processed fully.

In the future, don't hesitate to search your question first here or on the Support Center for your quickest answer too!

Ashley C
Message 7 of 7