x

How do I export a report to a CSV file?

Everyone seems to be using this app easily enough but I have complained a few times over the past five years and just lost money due to the lack of reporting features and it occurred to me that in order for this product to be useful at all it would have to do what I need... I am assuming now, that I am the problem and just haven't figured out how to do something that you all take for granted.

I am looking for instructions on how to create a report with the following data fields to export to a CSV file...

• date
  • category
  • item
  • quantity
  • gross sales
  • purchase method
  • square fees
  • net sales
  • device name
  • notes
  • employee

I have never figured how to get all this data from a screen into a CSV file and if someone could walk me through this I am willing to pay.  The customized reporting is either way too advanced for me or too useless.  Since there aren't a thousand people in here complaining about being able to see a report with an item, purchase method, and employee in one report, then I have to assume that I just aint smart enough to figure this out.

Message 1 of 3
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @ShayneNeal - I am so sorry to hear you've had such a hard time generating the report you need!

There is definitely a lot to sort through in terms of generating reports via your dashboard, and it is easy to get lost in the weeds. But so glad you brought this to the forefront here! If I am not able to answer your question thoroughly, we will get you in touch with someone who can.

I will start by saying that each of these data points that you've listed in your post are measurable with their own segmented report tab on the left-hand side of the Dashboard - (which I'm sure that you've seen, but some viewing this post may not have).

As you suggested, the only way to generate a holistic report that includes all of the statistics you've requested would be to create a custom report. To create a custom report:

1. Visit Sales > Reports in your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Custom Reports > Create New Report.
  3. Name your report > click Add Report to add additional blocks. Custom reports will automatically include your Sales Summary report, but it can be removed by clicking X at the top right corner of the report.
  4. Once your reports are added, hover over each section to reveal options to filter or add/remove columns.
  5. Click Save Report.

Once a custom report is created, you can export it via CSV file by clicking the Export button on the top right-hand side of the screen. 

I tested out creating a custom report from your list above, and I will say also say here that it looks like some of the data points you mentioned above are not available to be included on a custom report - specifically notes and device name. At this time, transaction notes can only be viewed by selecting the transaction details from the Transactions Tab. Device Name reports is currently a Filter that can be applied to any report by selecting Display By > Device

I will also mention that in order to add a Team Sales option to your custom report, you will need opt into one of our Team Management subscriptions. You can add a Team data field to your custom report, but information will only generate if a subscription is currently active.

And finally, I will leave you with two things. Firstly, reporting is an ongoing feature that we continually try to improve upon. Your feedback is extremely helpful in building a better product for our Sellers. We appreciate your patience as we try and make it the best it can be.

Secondly, if you are ever needing more detailed assistance with generating your report - I would recommend reaching out to our Support Team via phone. They are highly trained and will stay on line with you until we can fully resolve the issue, or at the very least find a helpful workaround.

Again, thanks reaching out here. I hope this information is helpful! Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @ShayneNeal - I am so sorry to hear you've had such a hard time generating the report you need!

There is definitely a lot to sort through in terms of generating reports via your dashboard, and it is easy to get lost in the weeds. But so glad you brought this to the forefront here! If I am not able to answer your question thoroughly, we will get you in touch with someone who can.

I will start by saying that each of these data points that you've listed in your post are measurable with their own segmented report tab on the left-hand side of the Dashboard - (which I'm sure that you've seen, but some viewing this post may not have).

As you suggested, the only way to generate a holistic report that includes all of the statistics you've requested would be to create a custom report. To create a custom report:

1. Visit Sales > Reports in your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Custom Reports > Create New Report.
  3. Name your report > click Add Report to add additional blocks. Custom reports will automatically include your Sales Summary report, but it can be removed by clicking X at the top right corner of the report.
  4. Once your reports are added, hover over each section to reveal options to filter or add/remove columns.
  5. Click Save Report.

Once a custom report is created, you can export it via CSV file by clicking the Export button on the top right-hand side of the screen. 

I tested out creating a custom report from your list above, and I will say also say here that it looks like some of the data points you mentioned above are not available to be included on a custom report - specifically notes and device name. At this time, transaction notes can only be viewed by selecting the transaction details from the Transactions Tab. Device Name reports is currently a Filter that can be applied to any report by selecting Display By > Device

I will also mention that in order to add a Team Sales option to your custom report, you will need opt into one of our Team Management subscriptions. You can add a Team data field to your custom report, but information will only generate if a subscription is currently active.

And finally, I will leave you with two things. Firstly, reporting is an ongoing feature that we continually try to improve upon. Your feedback is extremely helpful in building a better product for our Sellers. We appreciate your patience as we try and make it the best it can be.

Secondly, if you are ever needing more detailed assistance with generating your report - I would recommend reaching out to our Support Team via phone. They are highly trained and will stay on line with you until we can fully resolve the issue, or at the very least find a helpful workaround.

Again, thanks reaching out here. I hope this information is helpful! Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 3

You are not alone!

I am so frustrated by support. They don't seem to be able to grasp the simple thing I am try to achieve (similar to yours, but even simpler!), which I cannot believe is not a basic, pre-made standard report!

I am simply looking for a way to report by month, the service charges that I have been charged by Square for processing payments made to me by my clients. While there is a "Service Charges" report, it does not show any service charges. I even tried Custom reports and muddled my way through the completely un-intuitive screens to find the service charges field... and again nothing....and yes, I am charged each time a payment is processed as I can see these service charges individually on each transaction.

Any help is appreciated!

Message 3 of 3