x

How do I get my first reader for free?

I have attempted to order the "free reader" multiple times now so that I may begin taking card payment without having to type the info into the app manually, however I am constantly only offered the $10 reader instead of the free one I am showing that I qualify for. What is going on? I desperately need to get a reader for an upcoming event but am not willing to pay $10 for something I am supposed to receive for free for the first one.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Alumni

Hi @piperky - Is this your very first Square account and first reader you've ever ordered? You will only be able to receive a free reader if you haven't had one in the past.

If this is your first reader, are you signed in while attempting to order? If so, it should automatically apply the promo code for the free reader once you have checked out.

If all these things check out and you're still having trouble ordering, our Customer Success team would be happy to help you get sorted out.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 2 of 4

When did replacement readers stop being free?  They are NOTORIOUSLY unreliable and keep breaking, and get lost at the drop of a hat!  I can't believe they want $10 every single time. I would pay $3-5 for multiples (so that I can have an employee using one also) but $10???  That could end up costing a fortune!

Message 3 of 4
Alumni

Hi @tracyvp - The policy surrounding additional readers was updated in the latter part of 2018. The pricing structure for the Square Reader takes into account the full cost of manufacturing while still offering one free reader to all Square sellers. We appreciate the feedback!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 4 of 4