x

How do I turn off a separate tipping screen?

It used to be the case that when using Square on iPads/mobile devices, the tipping options were displayed at the top of the signature screen. However since the last app update, this is no longer the case. Tipping options now have its own separate screen. This actually makes it very awkward and unpleasant for the seller and customer experience. Now, I am turning the iPad towards the customer for no other reason than to ask for a tip. It is a very awkward situation and honestly I always skip the tipping option now unless the client mentions it themselves. It’s very unfortunate as I used to earn a lot more with tips.

The old system worked so well. I’m wondering how I can revert back to the old version. Or if it’s possible to re-add the option to have tipping and signature screen together PLEASE! 😭 

Message 1 of 46
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Thank you for your patience! After some digging, we found that this feature change is a direct result of banking standards required of us now that we allow Interac payments over $100. 

I know this is very frustrating information to hear as you have mentioned above, you do not feel comfortable using the separate tipping screen with your customers. I have certainly passed the feedback forward to our development teams, but since this new feature is a requirement of the banks, it may take quite some time before we are able to allow a combined Sign + Tip screen again. 

Thank you so much for your understanding.

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
Admin

Hey @SAMMIXZHAO!

Welcome to the Seller Community.

Just to confirm, when you go to Settings within the Square app and select Tipping, is "Separate Tipping Screen" enabled or disabled?

Let me know so I can further assist. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 46

When I go to Settings > Tipping, there is NO “Separate Tipping Screen” option for me to enable or disable. It’s just not there. I had called the support line and they were initially confused and later said that it was removed during the last update? 

2245C601-72DA-4C0E-9A2E-A6CD8D4FD972.jpeg

Message 3 of 46
Admin

Okay, this is what we are seeing on our end, and we have the most updated version:

I would go to the App Store and try updating your app if you can. If it's not allowing you to do so, please delete the app and then reinstall. Let me know.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 4 of 46

I updated the app to the latest version and the option is still not present for me. Also have the “always collect signatures” option enabled too.

Would it by any chance make a difference if I’m also using the contactless chip reader? I did notice that the issue started after I started using the contactless reader.

Message 5 of 46
Admin

Okay @SAMMIXZHAO

I think I may have figured this out for you. I have a few questions first.

1. Are these debit transactions, where the customer is entering a pin?
  2. How are you accepting these payments? Are you inserting the customers card, or doing a contactless (tap) payment? 

Let me know so I can look into this further. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 6 of 46

@isabelle It happens with both credit and debit payments. It happens when I’m using tap. I tested with mag strip reader and it happens with that too.

Message 7 of 46

Message 8 of 46

Hey @SAMMIXZHAO I wanted to reach out to you on behalf of @isabelle and let you know that I am working with engineering to determine if this is a permanent update on the account or a bug. I appreciate your patience!!

AshleyK
Message 9 of 46

Thank you 

Message 10 of 46

Best Answer

Thank you for your patience! After some digging, we found that this feature change is a direct result of banking standards required of us now that we allow Interac payments over $100. 

I know this is very frustrating information to hear as you have mentioned above, you do not feel comfortable using the separate tipping screen with your customers. I have certainly passed the feedback forward to our development teams, but since this new feature is a requirement of the banks, it may take quite some time before we are able to allow a combined Sign + Tip screen again. 

Thank you so much for your understanding.

AshleyK
Message 11 of 46

Hello, I have been experiencing the same issue, the separate tipping screen, and it is embarrassing, frustrating, and an added stress to check-outs. My long time customers are used to the signature with the tipping header bar ... now, there's an awkward "forced tip screen". I have been exchanging messages with Square customer service for a couple weeks making basic recommendations (delete and reinstall app, toggle button to "no separate tip screen" on all of your linked devices) and was then directed to call. Thought I couldn't be the only business that is experiencing this issue and did a search. I don't understand why with the new aforementioned bank regulation, that a separate tip screen would now be mandatory. Please explain.

Message 12 of 46
Alumni

Hey @Picklepeach - Sorry for the frustration here. I totally see where you're coming from and it's never our intention to put you in an uncomfortable position with your customers. Take a look at @Joe's post for a fleshed-out explanation on change in signature acceptance protocol. I hope this brings some clarity.

Justin
Message 13 of 46

Thank you Justin. I did check out @JoeS post and it's not exactly what I'm experiencing. The change has been that the separate tip screen appears (seems like when clients use a debit card), forces clientele to make a decision on a tip, and then the signature screen appears. I want the combination signature with tip bar page to appear each and every time like it has for the past 6+ years that I've been using Square.  The separate tip page does not work for my business and I have been apologizing to my clientele for this screen and that I'm trying to "work with Square" to fix it.

Message 14 of 46

Same issue here. I fell same about it. Completely doesn't make sense to require something like that. There is no point on it. It's like somebody tells you how to go to restroom. It's private thing, and bank shouldn't have any rights to require something like that.  Probably they don't have rights for such a action  and all of ts that is illegal.  Customers should complain! 

Message 15 of 46

Very very frustrating!! The rolling use to be above the customers signature and now it's a screen before then even signing. I have to put in no to because it's awkward to ask for them. I am going to have to go somewhere else if this is not fixed.... What happened?!?!

Message 16 of 46
Alumni

Ah, sorry I was a bit off target @Picklepeach  😖.

I double checked with my Team on this one and @AshleyK is right on the money with her explanation - this change was implemented to better align with banking standards.

Sorry if you were caught you off guard. We definitely hear you and we've noted your feedback. Thanks for your incredible understanding. 

Justin
Message 17 of 46
Beta Member

If you are truly collecting feedback on this forced tipping screen, here is another one! I am deeply ashamed with the screen and I hurry to click on "no tip" myself while excusing, to avoid the guests being embarrassed. Maybe Americans are used to this, but is is very awkward and unusual for the rest of the world.

I was very content with the more decent tipping option on the general screen in the past 7 years. I also have NO option in the settings to change it back. I do not have a debit card option, only credit cards. And to be "more in line with bank regulations" is a bull**bleep**ter.

I really, really would like to have my previous setup back.  

Message 18 of 46

I agree!! The seperate tipping screen is so embarrassing!!!  The only reason I stayed with square is because signature and tipping was on the same screen...

Seriously!!! Please please bring it back!!

Message 19 of 46

Hey @Gina5

I completely understand the frustration with this and appreciate your honest feedback. 

It will get passed along to the appropriate team. Keep an eye out for our Product Updates on upcoming feature launches. 

Kassi
Message 20 of 46

Do you really understand!!

if you as a business can not accommodate your customers there is something wrong!!

since I posted I see there are so many more people that feel this way!!

I sincerely hope another option becomes available soon!

Message 21 of 46