x

How do I turn off a separate tipping screen?

It used to be the case that when using Square on iPads/mobile devices, the tipping options were displayed at the top of the signature screen. However since the last app update, this is no longer the case. Tipping options now have its own separate screen. This actually makes it very awkward and unpleasant for the seller and customer experience. Now, I am turning the iPad towards the customer for no other reason than to ask for a tip. It is a very awkward situation and honestly I always skip the tipping option now unless the client mentions it themselves. Itโ€™s very unfortunate as I used to earn a lot more with tips.

The old system worked so well. Iโ€™m wondering how I can revert back to the old version. Or if itโ€™s possible to re-add the option to have tipping and signature screen together PLEASE! ๐Ÿ˜ญ 

Message 1 of 46
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Thank you for your patience! After some digging, we found that this feature change is a direct result of banking standards required of us now that we allow Interac payments over $100. 

I know this is very frustrating information to hear as you have mentioned above, you do not feel comfortable using the separate tipping screen with your customers. I have certainly passed the feedback forward to our development teams, but since this new feature is a requirement of the banks, it may take quite some time before we are able to allow a combined Sign + Tip screen again. 

Thank you so much for your understanding.

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
Beta Member

It's been a year now on this same topic, with the same complaints and the same standardized Squareteam answers. I actually don't think anything is happening at all.

I am looking into switching to another system, any advise from my fellow ashamed business owners?

Message 22 of 46

I'm experiencing same issue and will unfortunately be changing credit card processing merchants if this is not resolved soon.  What a bummer! 

Message 23 of 46

I too am very frustrated as I find it very uncomfortable when dealing one on one with clients to shove a tipping a

screen in there face.

please help fix this problem!!

i have started to encourage etransfer to them Because of this issue !!

Message 24 of 46

I do not see a difference during the checkout process when I toggle the switch between 'tip on separate screen'.  

Both settings seem the same.  

Does anyone have a screen shot of what they are supposed to look?  Or are there any other settings that may influence how this setting appears?

Thanks! 

Message 25 of 46
Alumni

Hi @LeapingLizards -  I don't have a screenshot to show right now. However, when tip on separate screen is enabled, the tipping option appears on a separate screen than the signature screen. 

When it's disabled, the customer will tip and sign on the same screen. It's intended to speed up the checkout flow. 

Justin
Message 26 of 46

Ok, thanks Justin.  As I only require a signature for $25+, and thanks to COVID my average ticket is less than $25, I have not run into that scenario.  

But again, thanks.  You cleared it up for me!

Message 27 of 46
Alumni

Hey @Ancrage 

Looks like you have the Square Register which behaves a bit differnt than the POS on a mobile device. Sign and tip will prompt on the customer display screen regardless, which is why you're not seeing an option to choose to tip on a separate screen. 

Justin
Message 28 of 46
Beta Member

I use the POS on an (android) tablet and on an (android) smartphone. In the app stores there are two options, that both give the same result. (Square point of Sale Beta and Square Point of Sale-POS). I tried both several times.

I used the magnetic stripe card reader before and since a few weeks a square reader. No difference in app settings.

Liane

Message 29 of 46
Alumni

Whoops, sorry about that. At first glace, looked like you were using the Square Register. Also, no need to download the beta app- the POS app will do. 

Have your ran through app troubleshooting (reinstall the app, make sure the OS is up to date on your device)? If you're still having trouble, reach out to our CS Team so they can help disable the tip on separate screen feature. 

@Ancrage

Justin
Message 30 of 46
Beta Member

Hi Justin, thanks!

Yes, I did all that. Even bought the newest smartphone but no joy.

I also reached out to the team before but the answer was something about " cannot change that because of banking regulations" . Which is a bit hilarious by the way.

Can you reach out to your colleagues to see what the real solution is please?

Have a great day!

Liane

Message 31 of 46
Alumni

Ah, sorry for misunderstanding - I thought you were looking to simply disable the separate tipping screen judging from the title of the thread you commented under. 

As for requiring signatures, the CS Team is correct - due to banking regulations, banks may not require a signature from a cardholder during a purchase. @Ancrage More here

Justin
Message 32 of 46
Beta Member

No you are right Justin. I simply want the option to have the tipping screen turned off. That is all!

But the reason why that could not been done was for banking purposes they said, which is not true of course.

So my problem (and from many others what I can see) is just to have the "old" option back again where ppl would have a discrete way of tipping when they are at the signage page. Not to have that forced tipping screen first, before you get to that signage screen.

That is "all"....

Liane

Message 33 of 46
Beta Member

There is no option to turn off that extra tipping screen Justin. That's the whole problem everyone is having now. It used to be an option, but now it is a forced extra (shameful for us) screen. We want it to be turned off!

Message 34 of 46
Admin

Hey @Ancrage-

Just to be clear, you do not see the following option when you go to Settings > Tipping

Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the app when you have no payments pending in offline mode? Let me know! 

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 35 of 46
Beta Member

No, sorry to say Isabelle.

I even uninstalled the app and installed the oldest version I could find in the app store but this screen is not there.

IMG_20200804_065914.jpg

Have a great day! Liane

Message 36 of 46

Since there wasn't traction on reverting back to the single screen format, tip bar at the top, signature at the bottom, consistently 100% of the time, I went back to using the small, plugged in, Square swiper thing (instead of the chip reader unit) for the past several months and viola, no "separate" embarrassing tip screen popped up again! I was hesitant to post this because I didn't want Square to change it, but with COVID, I've been closed down for months, so this is the least of my worries at this time. Hope this helps someone here.

Side notes: I realize that it may leave us vulnerable to not use the chip reader unit, but I weighed it out and considering the type of small clientele I had, it was a low risk for me. Also, because of this situation, I leaned on using Venmo more. Lastly, if and when I reopen, I may go towards using an entirely different set-up through my salon software - they have been agile, and responsive during COVID, offering clean checkouts.

Message 37 of 46

Every now & then this changes on it's own.  I have tried everything to get the tip options back on the same page where customer signs so they have the option to tip  Help! 

Message 38 of 46
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Nonnyof5! Welcome! We can see that this is your first time joining us here on the Seller Community. We hope this space can prove to be a valuable resource as you grow your business with Square ๐Ÿ˜‡

Now onto business! So sorry to hear about the trouble with your tips not reflecting correctly within checkout. Just to make sure we are on the same page, what device specifically are you using to take payments and collect customer signatures?

We would recommend making sure all of your tip settings are confirmed as correct, as well.

We will keep an eye out for your response!

Joe
Message 39 of 46

I have the original square that I connect to my phone.  I have the toggle turned off for tipping on separate screen. One of the pics is the screen that I DON'T want...separate page. 

Screenshot_20210204-111929_Square Point of Sale.jpg

โ€ƒ

Screenshot_20210204-111929_Square Point of Sale.jpg

Message 40 of 46

I have been having issues with this same thing. I would like the signature and the tips to be on the same screen. I have the toggle turned off that asks for them to be on separate pages and they are still on separate pages. Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks!

Message 41 of 46
Beta Member

This discussion has been on for almost 2 years now (read back to the first time)...

Answer from square has always something to do with ....

After some digging, we found that this feature change is a direct result of banking standards required of us now..."  blabla........

Also from you,  @JustinC , as you replied on 1 July 2020:

.....I double checked with my Team on this one and AshleyK is right on the money with her explanation - this change was implemented to better align with banking standards.......

Sorry if you were caught you off guard. We definitely hear you and we've noted your feedback. Thanks for your incredible understanding..... " 

My conclusion is that this is no glitch at all, just a feature that probably will remain there. Too bad for us, I guess.

Message 42 of 46