x

How do timecards work?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: How does the time lock work]

How does time clock work I. Square?

is there a fee?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Admin

Hey @Urbangirl801!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

It sounds like you're interested in timecards for Team Management. You can learn more about it here

To get started with timecards, you’ll need to set up team member profiles with Personal Passcodes.

Once you’ve assigned each team member a Personal Passcode, they can clock in by tapping the clock icon in the Checkout tab of the Square app on a tablet, or by tapping the three horizontal lines > Clock In/Out on a smartphone. If you don’t see the clock icon on your tablet or device, visit Settings > Time Tracking in the Square app and toggle Time Tracking on.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 12

Hi,

I’m trying to use the free version of time cards with my new square register.  I can’t figure out how to generate passwords.  Can anyone help me.  Thank You.

Message 3 of 12
Alumni

@purplecow 

This thread should help! I hope it gets you where you need to be. Let me know if you still need help. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 12

I have read the previous posts regarding timecards, but I am still having difficulty assigning codes to employees. I am planning to use the free version with my square register. Can someone help me? I added the names, but I don't see where I can assign employee codes for clocking in. Thank You!
Message 5 of 12
Alumni

@purplecow

You'll need to do this step from Dashboard. Instructions are included in the article @isabelleM linked above: set up team member profiles 

Justin
Message 6 of 12

Hi,

I did not figure out how to generate codes on the free version, so I entered a code manually on a "dummy" employee.   I was not able to clock in for that employee.  I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

Message 7 of 12
Square Community Moderator

@purplecow the passcodes will not work until a permission is assigned. When you select your team member in Team, make sure to scroll to the bottom of their employee information and select "Set Up Permissions." To continue using the free version, assign each employee the same permission.

If you've allowed for that permission set to have passcodes, when you select the permission from the drop down, you will be prompted to assign the passcode to that employee.

If you do not have a permission set created yet, you will need to select "Team Permissions" and walk through the steps to create your team role. This will include selecting what abilities your team can have (can they issue refunds, change hardware settings, open the cash drawer?). 

If you still have trouble, you can always call into our Support Team who can walk you through each step over the phone. 

AshleyK
Message 8 of 12

When using Timecards, will square automatically pay my employees based on information entered on the timecard, or only if I import the timecard to payroll? I want to use timecards for time tracking purposes, but I prefer to manually do payroll each week. 

Message 9 of 12
Alumni

Timecards are just for time tracking purposes only. Square will not pay employees unless you import them into Square's Payroll system (which requires a subscription). 

You're free to use time cards to manually run payroll. @TMHebert

Justin
Message 10 of 12

Is it possible for an employee clock in and log their time in square timecard, but NOT go through payroll?

Message 11 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hey @deballen,

I moved your post to an existing thread that goes over timecard tracking and how to set that up.

Check out the Best Answer above for details. 

In the future, don't hesitate to search your question first here or on the Support Center for your quickest answer too!

Ashley C
Message 12 of 12