x

How should I manage 2 companies with 1 Square account?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: 2 companies - 1 account

I recently started a second home based business - what is the best way to separate the items for reports etc?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

Hey Laurel,

It depends a bit on what suits you best.  You might want to start a second Square account if you want all the products, logos, branding, contact info and so on to be completely different.

If your businesses have any shared items, you could just create a second 'Location' for your business.  There's less setup, Square would easily separate the transactions for reporting, and you can view and manage the two companies from the same dashboard.  Down side - receipts would be the same for both companies.  You'd also probably want a second payment terminal.

If this is just about sorting transactions, consider just using Item Categories when you make products.

Michael
New Light Photography | SUB Photo | Square fan
Message 2 of 6

Hi Michael, This sounds about right for my needs.  I have a cottage rental and would like folks to be able to pay online, or over the phone.  But I also have a cafe/gift shop so folks would pay in person at the store. 

Could you confirm, please,  to be clear I could have two square accounts, in order to keep the logos/branding separate.  BUT I can use the same hardware (terminal and a square stand with my ipad and sep printer) for both Square accounts?

Message 3 of 6
Alumni

You got it, @CarolR!

Check out my response to your other post here 👀 

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 6

I have the same question with a bit more complexity I think.  I've set up our company, and now want to add a second company.  They are co-located and both owned by the same person.   Can I use the same square POS and Terminal for both companies, and if so, how complicated is it to use, eg. logging in and out of the system for sales entries.  They need to be separate because they will each be standalone corporations with their individual accounting, bank accounts, etc.

Message 5 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hi! Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Seller Community @PantryPooch. You can definitely have separate locations to manage this. You will need to sign in/out any time you want to switch businesses on the same device, but this would be the same situation if you created two separate Square accounts. The benefit of creating a second location is that you can view all sales reports together or separate and manage everything in one place. This would not be possible with another Square account.

Let me know what questions, if any, you have from here. I'm here to help. 🙂

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 6