x

How to dispute a charge on Square Card?

How to dispute a charge on square business debit card?

Message 1 of 58
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @MiSSiL - I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble filing a claim for your Square Card.

I've checked our resources and this is the most accurate and up-to-date information. I've also double-checked the Square Dashboard to make sure the steps you need to take are available.

If you notice a transaction you didn’t make or have a question about a transaction in your history, you will need to report a dispute. Before proceeding, ensure that the payment has been posted to your account and isn’t pending or voided.

To do so from your dashboard:

1. Log in to your Square Dashboard > Balance.
  2. Select your business location.
  3. Click View all activity.
  4. Locate the charge and click on More (. . .) > Dispute payment.
  5. Answer the questions about the charge(s)
  6. Review your answers and click Submit.

To file a claim from the POS app:

1. Log in to your app and tap More.
  2. Tap Balance > View all activity.
  3. Locate the charge and click on More (. . .) > Dispute payment.
  4. Answer the questions about the charge(s)
  5. Review your answers and click Submit.

Note on submitting multiple disputes using one form: If your answer to the first question “Do you believe this payment is fraudulent?” is Yes, you will be able to select up to 10 payments to dispute via this single form. If your answer is No, because you authorized the payment but are disputing for a different reason (e.g. goods or services not received, or not as described), please complete one form per payment dispute.

Note: In order to give you the best chance at recovering your money, you must file a dispute claim within 60 days of the transaction date.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 12 of 58
57 REPLIES 57
Super Seller Alumni

Here's the procedure for disputing a charge on your Square card:

How do I dispute a charge on my Square Card?

Before you file a claim:

• Ensure the payment has posted to your account and isn’t pending or voided.

• Some merchants (e.g. gas stations) will place a temporary hold on your checking account to authorize your purchase. This temporary hold will be higher than the actual transaction amount, typically $75 or $100. We call these transactions pending authorizations. These pending authorizations can take up to 14 days to clear.

• Contact the merchant to try and resolve your concerns. We aren’t able to pursue a dispute if you haven’t attempted to resolve the issue with the merchant directly.

If you notice a transaction you didn’t make or have a question about a transaction in your history, you will need to report a dispute. To do so:

1. Log in to your Square Dashboard.

2. Locate the charge and click on the more options icon (. . .). 

3. Select Dispute payment.

4. Answer the questions about the charge.

5. Review your answers and click Submit.

If there are multiple transactions in question, a dispute will need to be filed for each transaction separately.

For the best chance at recovering your funds, file your dispute within 60 days of the error appearing on your transaction history.

You will receive the investigation results via email.  Most disputes are settled within 30 to 60 days, however some may take longer.

And here's the Square card FAQ page where you'll find more questions answered.

Judy T Shumway
Message 2 of 58

How can I dispute charges from merchants that I have never even heard of and don't know how to reach them, where they are or what they  do

Message 3 of 58
Alumni

Hi there @weaselwacker - you can learn more about the Square Card disputes process here.

If you haven't already, please reach out by phone or email when you have a moment by logging into your Square account and heading here. Our team can take a look at your account with you to help a shine more light than we are able to via the Community.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

Valentina
Message 4 of 58

the first link you sent has incorrect instructions, as there are no ... icons or any options next to the transaction in the list at all

Message 5 of 58

There is no “more options icon (…)” on in any application of square. No options, no dispute. Need help thanks. 

Message 6 of 58

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, @Alwx - where are you accessing your Square card transactions from? 

Message 7 of 58

iPhone 11 and iPad 11pro 2021. 

Message 8 of 58

Can you sign in to your Dashboard in a browser, and head to your Square debit transactions. Let us know if you can find the "..." from there! 

Message 9 of 58

Nope. No ... or any way to dispute it. No options!

Message 10 of 58

Your answer is incorrect. There are no ... or any options on the item list to do anything at all, I still have no way to dispute the charges. Square is very unsafe!

Message 11 of 58

Best Answer

Hi @MiSSiL - I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble filing a claim for your Square Card.

I've checked our resources and this is the most accurate and up-to-date information. I've also double-checked the Square Dashboard to make sure the steps you need to take are available.

If you notice a transaction you didn’t make or have a question about a transaction in your history, you will need to report a dispute. Before proceeding, ensure that the payment has been posted to your account and isn’t pending or voided.

To do so from your dashboard:

1. Log in to your Square Dashboard > Balance.
  2. Select your business location.
  3. Click View all activity.
  4. Locate the charge and click on More (. . .) > Dispute payment.
  5. Answer the questions about the charge(s)
  6. Review your answers and click Submit.

To file a claim from the POS app:

1. Log in to your app and tap More.
  2. Tap Balance > View all activity.
  3. Locate the charge and click on More (. . .) > Dispute payment.
  4. Answer the questions about the charge(s)
  5. Review your answers and click Submit.

Note on submitting multiple disputes using one form: If your answer to the first question “Do you believe this payment is fraudulent?” is Yes, you will be able to select up to 10 payments to dispute via this single form. If your answer is No, because you authorized the payment but are disputing for a different reason (e.g. goods or services not received, or not as described), please complete one form per payment dispute.

Note: In order to give you the best chance at recovering your money, you must file a dispute claim within 60 days of the transaction date.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 12 of 58

There are no ... or dispute or other options at all 

Most purchases do not let you dispute until 45 days and no resolution with the seller

Thanks

Message 13 of 58

Hi there again, @MiSSiL 

On your Square Dashboard, you will see the 3 dots and the option to Dispute the payment after you click on the specific payment you'd like to dispute (as shown below).

If you are still having trouble following the instructions I sent earlier, it may be best to get in contact with our Support Team so they can assist you further. You can contact Support directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

I hope this helps!

Violet
Message 14 of 58

I have the Square Debit Card for business.    I made a purchase on 12/11 and never received my item.  I would like to file a claim against the seller.   How do I go about that? 

Message 15 of 58
Super Seller

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6596-square-card-faqs

How do I dispute a charge on my Square Card?

Before you file a claim:

• Ensure the payment has posted to your account and isn’t pending or voided.
  • Some merchants (e.g. gas stations) will place a temporary hold on your Square Card to authorize your purchase. This temporary hold will be higher than the actual transaction amount, typically $75 or $100. We call these transactions pending authorizations. These pending authorizations can take up to 14 days to clear.
  • Contact the merchant to try and resolve your concerns. We aren’t able to pursue a claim if you haven’t attempted to resolve the issue with the merchant directly.

If you notice a transaction you didn’t make or have a question about a transaction in your history, you will need to report a claim. To do so, access our Claim Form to begin the process.

Message 16 of 58

The info provided on your link is incorrect. There are no options listed on dashboard or on the charge details like the instructions state on: [Locate the charge and click on the more options icon (. . .) ] As others have already stated, there is no way to dispute the transactions and we are at a loss. I am going to transfer all my money out immediately. This bank is not safe.

Message 17 of 58

the "claim form" has incorrect info, there are no ... or option at the transaction list and no way to dispute the item

Message 18 of 58

I have a charge on my square card spend detail page that I did not make. How do I get my money back in my square card spend account?

Message 19 of 58

Hi @VeronicaDarby!

I moved your post to an existing thread in the Community on how to dispute a charge on the Square Card.

See @GlassJudy 's steps above in the best answer. 

Ashley C
Message 20 of 58

Have a transaction charged to my account from Ting! I did not purchase. How do you dispute this?

Message 21 of 58