x

How to include gratuity "box" on an invoice?

For big catering, many times companies will leave a gratuity after I run their card on the Square app on our phone.  Of course they are able to send themselves a receipt when prompted.  However, they usually need me to send an itemized invoice later for accounting purposes.  Is there anyway that a tip section can be added down below near taxes, subtotal, etc.?  There is no "box" other than a discount one.  

Please, please, please include this in the near future.  It has become a pain because their invoice doesn't match what they actually paid after leaving a tip.  

Message 1 of 5
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @KFT4Life - I can step in here in Ashley's absence 😇

This definitely makes sense! I appreciate you taking the time to clarify a bit more. 

Piggy-backing off of @AshleyK suggestion, have you tried adding 'tips' as a separate item but editing your tax so that you sales tax does not apply to this specific item? This would give you the ability to keep the tips listed as an individual item, while also only applying the tax to the original amount. This may be a helpful workaround in this case.

Either way, I am happy to pass over your feedback and suggestions to our Product Teams! They are always looking for ways to improve our products in more succinct ways. 

Let me or Ashley know if you have any follow questions! I am curious to if this workaround worked for you.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Hey! Thanks for reaching out! If you are marking an invoice as paid after sending it, just for the sake of sending an itemized invoice, the best way to mark the tips that your customers added would be to make it a separate item and name it "tips." 

Let me know if this answers your question. Thank you!

AshleyK
Message 2 of 5

Hi Ashley, thank you for your reply!  What I need is an actual box like the "discount" where I can put what tip they left when I initially ran their card.  It can't be an "item" because the tip is added on after the taxes were applied.  It's not really for my sake of invoice purposes, but more for the client's accounting purposes.  If their total charges were for $1,000 and they left a $200 tip there is no way for me to show that.  The invoice will only show the charges of $1,000 rather than $1,200 so it doesn't match up for their accountant.  I hope that makes sense, thanks! 🙂  

Message 3 of 5

Best Answer

Hi there, @KFT4Life - I can step in here in Ashley's absence 😇

This definitely makes sense! I appreciate you taking the time to clarify a bit more. 

Piggy-backing off of @AshleyK suggestion, have you tried adding 'tips' as a separate item but editing your tax so that you sales tax does not apply to this specific item? This would give you the ability to keep the tips listed as an individual item, while also only applying the tax to the original amount. This may be a helpful workaround in this case.

Either way, I am happy to pass over your feedback and suggestions to our Product Teams! They are always looking for ways to improve our products in more succinct ways. 

Let me or Ashley know if you have any follow questions! I am curious to if this workaround worked for you.

Joe
Message 4 of 5

Thank you for the reply!  That's exactly what I was thinking too, with that being the only way of doing so.  I hope Square will be able to add something like that in the future.  The only thing is that it looks a little funny with it being in the item section.  To them, it looks like gratuity was taxed.  Only we know because physically have to go an uncheck the tax box.  It would be nice in the subtotal area.  🙂

Message 5 of 5