x

Feature Request: Set up specific date and time selection for Square Online orders (Pre-orders)

Verified Answer

Feature Request: Set up specific date and time selection for Square Online orders (Pre-orders)

The title of this post has been edited from the original: How to set up date and time selection for Square Online orders

Hi,

We quickly built a Square/Weebly Online Store this week so that people could place contactless/curbside orders for our gelato shop. It's working great and I love that the tickets print out when it's time to make the order.

We are also implementing a local delivery service where people can preorder with us and we'll deliver it on Friday night. Right now we're doing it by email to take their item order and we respond back with a Square Invoice to capture payment. Has anyone successfully found a way to do local delivery with the Online Store platform?

It would be awesome if besides Pickup or Shipping, merchants could toggle on a Local Delivery button and the merchant could set a few options, such as "Delivery on Friday night, 4-7pm," "Delivery on Saturday afternoon, 12-6pm." Maybe with an option to assign a fee, but that's less important during this emergency response.

Thank you and be safe.

3 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: Set up specific date and time selection for Square Online orders (Pre-orders)

@lonestar31 @MCTMN 

We are currently testing Batch Processing in our Beta Community, which may help you out. This is another update to allowing pre-orders on your online store.  We'd love for you to join in the test and provide feedback.

To get started:

Please join our Square Online testing group.
Once accepted there are instructions in the group of how to get started in the test.

Verified Answer

Re: Feature request: Pre-Order Handling

Hi all! Thank you for jumping into. your thread for pre-orders and more customizable delivery/pick up options. We're excited that this feature is now moving into Beta testing, and we'd love to have you check it out.

Please take a few minutes to ready our Beta Recruiting post- and make sure you're a fit. We're looking to get his launched in the next few days. Also if you've replied to this thread, we will be sending you information on this test via DM as well.

Verified Answer

The title of this post has been edited from the original: How to set up date and time selection for Square Online orders

Hi,

We quickly built a Square/Weebly Online Store this week so that people could place contactless/curbside orders for our gelato shop. It's working great and I love that the tickets print out when it's time to make the order.

We are also implementing a local delivery service where people can preorder with us and we'll deliver it on Friday night. Right now we're doing it by email to take their item order and we respond back with a Square Invoice to capture payment. Has anyone successfully found a way to do local delivery with the Online Store platform?

It would be awesome if besides Pickup or Shipping, merchants could toggle on a Local Delivery button and the merchant could set a few options, such as "Delivery on Friday night, 4-7pm," "Delivery on Saturday afternoon, 12-6pm." Maybe with an option to assign a fee, but that's less important during this emergency response.

Thank you and be safe.

333 Comments
Beta Member

We would like to start introducing  a product we are about to launch but would like to get pre-orders in so we know how many we need to make since our product is food related. We don’t want to make more quantity than needed because it will go bad. Can you let me know if there is such feature and if so, how do I go about setting it up on Square/Weebly. 

Thank you! 

This workaround was super helpful! For anyone who might stumble upon this post, here's how we implemented it for our bakery with multiple locations and pickup days:

http://leqholidayorders.square.site/

The product details are:

• Item Type: Physical
  • Fulfillment Methods: Shipping
  • Add Options:
    • Pickup Location (Store 1, Store 2, Store 3)
    • Pickup Date (Ex: Monday, November 23, 2020; Tuesday, November 24, 2020; Wednesday, November 25, 2020)
    • Note: This only seems to work with the dropdown style for option groups, as opposed to radio buttons.

The process above will generate a list of several variations. We just delete any combinations that shouldn't be available to customers.

This makes it impossible to natively filter orders by location, so we instead reference email receipts and apply automatic labels as they come to the inbox, and print from Gmail instead of Square. It also massively impacted tips since that's not an option for Shipping orders.

For context, we use Clover POS for in-store transactions and didn't have any form of online ordering until COVID hit. Inventory doesn't sync between the two systems, which means we can't offer same-day pickup. So, we have another Square site for weekly flash sale preorders. If anyone reading this has needs like ours, Toast POS seems like a great solution to look into, albeit a pricey one. 

Square Community Moderator

Hey @Little323 and welcome to the Community!

Thanks for the suggestion! I've merged your post into an existing feature request thread for this feature where it's being tracked for our Product Team.

I don't have a timeline on when this will be available but I would encourage you to check out our Beta Community to join and potentially get access to new features first when we test them out.

Hi,

I am trying to set up my website to allow people to order my products for pick up on a certain day at another location. I am attending a Christmas market and I want people to be able to order for pick up at this other location, but it is a one day only event. Can this be done?

I managed to set up a second location for pickup but I am unable to specify for a specific date.

Thank you. 

Beta Member

We sell a weekly Friday Night Dinner. Pickup is between 5 and 6 on Friday night, but customers can order any time during the week. Can I change the confirmation email to remove the "your order will be ready" section that is based on a period of time that starts when they order and instead just have the confirmation email say "Pickup is between 5 and 6 o'clock Friday night."?

Does anyone know if this functionality is available on any of the other services? Shopify?  We are a farm that only want to square to allow for pickup this way (a window of time for ordering, then a set date and time for pickup.)  

Square Community Moderator

Hey @rockburn,

I moved your post to an existing feature request thread for this feature where it's being tracked. It's definitely a popular request but not something we offer just yet.

There's a good workaround listed as the Best Answer that might work for you if you were wanting to give it a read/try!

Beta Member

Hi there,

We have both a regular restaurant menu and also occasional special menus (Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, etc.).  The special menus are ordered via pre-order and customers are made to book their pickup date in advance.  We spell this out clearly in the item and description, but people still choose dates outside of the specified pickup dates.

We need a way to set an item (or category)'s pickup availability to specific dates on a technical level to eliminate this problem.  I do not see a way of doing this currently.  Is there a way to do this, or is there a workaround available?  Not having this functionality is creating chaos in our order fulfillment!

Thank you for your help!

Salaams

I have exactly the same problem and wish I could at least leave a custom note on the order receipt- to pick up during store hours or call to schedule a time.

I sell wine and want to offer my distributers catalog so people could pre-order from a greater list and I could order it within the week. Is there any way to do this? or facilitate a back-order style set up? I also want people to pick-up during store hours.....I have my store hours written but it does not allow me to customize the default message. Since I am open Thurs- sat. this will make people think they can come in Sunday....totally confusing