x

I am opening a Cafe with a Retail Shop. Should I use Square for Restaurants or Retail?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Cafe . Retail]

I am opening a Cafe with a Retail Shop - which would be the Best one to get?

Does anyone here have a Cafe (restaurant) and Retail? What do you use?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hey @1basketkase.

Congrats on opening a new business!

Although it doesn't look like other sellers have had a chance to reply to your post yet, I'd be happy to offer some guidance. First, I have a few questions:

1) Do you need to track Cost of Goods Sold for your retail items?

2) Do you need a seating/floor plan option for your cafe?

3) Do you need a way to print bar code labels?

4) What hardware do you plan on using? (iPad with Square Stand, Square Register, Square Terminal). 

I'm asking these questions to see if you need to upgrade to the Square for Restaurants or Square for Retail subscriptions. Our basic Square Point of Sale system (no subscription, only transaction fees), comes with basic inventory tracking, meets the needs of most restaurants/cafes, has order/ticket functionality, modifiers (for cafe), and variations (for retail items). 

I look forward to hearing from you! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 4

We have have a similar situation/question. We have two locations that has a small grocery store that has a cafe.  We currently use the Square POS on iPads and that works well for us. We don't track COGS, don't have seating plans, don't use bar codes.

We would like to integrate food delivery apps (e.g. Doordash, Caviar) to get the orders in one iPad. Managing all the separate tablets is a hassle and we can't share the existing printers we have, so we've been transcribing the orders into open tickets on the Square POS.

I see there is a free version of Square Restaurants. Could we run both Square POS and Square Restaurants on the same iPad? Would you recommend us switch to Square Restaurants only or stick with Square POS only?

What would you folks suggest? Thank you!

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

@brazilianbread1

Since you don't need all the features that comes with Restaurants or Retail, you'll be able to operate using the standard POS app

However integrating with our order partners, Dashboard and Caviar requires the Restaurants plan.  

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4