x

I have updated my Square Stand to an iPad 4 and it will not connect to my readers without WiFi.

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: iPad

I have updated my Square Stand to an iPad 4 and it will not connect to my readers without WiFi.  Same thing is happening with my iPad Air.  Neither will use cellular data.

I use my Square at art shows away from home and am having to use my cellphone as a hotspot.

Any help is appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

@Silvertrader

Just want to make sure I understand, are you using a iPad with a Data Plan or hooked it up to the hotspot on another device?

We'll want to do some troubleshooting around this answer, so let me know, and we can see what the best way forward is for you.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 2 of 10

My iPad 4 and the iPad Air are connected to cellular service with Verizon.  The chip card readers frequently will not connect to the Square app running on these devices, not will they process cards.

I connected the iPad Air running the Square app to my iPhone acting as a hotspot (same cellular service) and the chip card readers connect and will process.

The only way I can process without a hotspot or WiFi connection is to use the old plug into the microphone card reader.

Message 3 of 10
Admin

@Silvertrader

Got it. Thanks for being so specific here, that gives me a clear picture of what is going on. That is expected behavior.

To create a secure connection for the Contactless and Chip Reader, we do need a Wi-Fi connection, and depending on the data service on your phone, it may not be enough to power it. 

Wi-Fi connection ensure a stable environment to take payments, so when you do use your hotspot, you should not have issues processing payment. Seems like that might be the expereince you are already having. 

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 4 of 10

I understand that this is now expected behavior with the Contactless and Chip reader but....

Why did they work with cellular while I was using my iPad mini a couple of months ago but now require WiFi since I have moved to iPad4 and iPad Air?  

Message 5 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Silvertrader! Stepping in for Kelly here.

The Contactless reader requires some sort of internet connection so data would of worked too with your cellular device but it would need WiFi with an iPad. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 10

Your reply does not make sense.  The readers worked fine with my iPad mini using cellular data but once the iPad was upgraded, they stopped working.  I have not changed out the readers, only the iPad. 

I am asking if there was a change in the software of the readers; I already knew that the OS on the newer iPads was different.

Message 7 of 10

@Silvertrader It wouldn't really have to do with the upgrade in iOS but we're just saying that the reader needs a solid WiFi connection in order to function at all times.

Running off data may work sometimes or could of worked all the time but could be intermittent if the connection with the data isn't as strong.

We always recommend WiFi over using data with that reader in particular since the technology for the chip works best with WiFi. 

Ashley C
Message 8 of 10

Thank you for your clarification.   I'm still not happy that I have to run 2 devices to make it work though.

I'm assuming that using the old "plug into the microphone" reader will still work without WiFi?

Message 9 of 10

@Silvertrader The magstripe reader should work fine without WiFi yes!

Ashley C
Message 10 of 10