x

Identifying square readers age

I have two square readers one from this year and the other from several years ago.  They got mixed up and now I can't tell which is the new one.  I don't want to throw the new one away but I don't want to try and use the old one. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Beta Member

Hi Weavingivory,

Good question - I'm assuming you have magstripe readers.   I took a look at my collection of old readers, no markings or serial numbers.  Note, out of the 4 readers that I have - two are identical but, there's no markings on any of them that would provide a hint as to age.  Best you can do is test both.   Down the road, you may want to consider upgrading to the Contactless and Chip Reader - it's worth it and you don't have the liability that you have with the magstripe readers.

jkIMG_1129.jpg

Message 2 of 3
Super Seller

If you have the Tap less Bluetooth version, when they are connected you get a 4 digit code for them.  I wrote this code down on each one so I can Identify them, again I am not sure how to tell which one of my 4 is the newest or oldest by date I received.  I have 2 contactless ones hooked to a Square Stand at a time, just incase one does not work.  I like a backup that is easy to use especially this time of year.  One is connected via USB and the other Bluetooth.  Every once and a while the USB one stops working, but it seems to be when there is a line forming, never fails   lol.   

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 3 of 3