x

If Gift Cards won’t allow Tips, then we may have to not allow them

I am disappointed that there seems to be no customer service focused way of allowing customers to add tips when they want to pay with gift cards. We operate a business focused on hiring folks with special needs and learning differences and it is cumbersome that you can just swipe a gift card, have it deducted from the card and a new total come up- or that you have to split tender it and specially ask if they want to tip. Our employees find it difficult to understand. It is rude to ask customers this and can put them in an awkward place. Our employees and business thrive on customer service and the customer tipping. We decided to not ask if a customer uses a card and given our business model, our regular  customers are sometimes upset to learn they can’t tip while we lose out on much needed revenue. If I had known that tipping wasn’t an option on gift cards, I would have not purchased any for our business.

We may have to go to an old school system of a paper gift certificate and manually put in a discount unless there is another way others have discovered to get around this? Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Hello @Gigglechops, welcome to the Seller Community! 

It is possible to add a tip using a Square Gift card. The only thing is the gift card needs to have enough funds to cover the sale and the tip amount. If the gift card does not have enough money, it will skip the tip option all together. 

I hope this provides a bit of clarification into the gift card tipping options! 

Message 2 of 4

If a customer pays for a service using a sqare gift card and they wish to leave a gratuity as well, can they do that?  If so, how do they do that?

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi @TMSS! Welcome to the Seller Community.

I moved your post here for the answer to this. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4